Cloudy and looks like algae?

Here are my numbers:
    FC 6
    CC 0
    CYA 40-50
    TA 110
    CH 200
    pH 7.5

Vinyl pool, tests done with TF-50 test kit, Hasa Liquidator, sand filter. I have a feeling my sin is allowing the Luiquidator to empty and NOT slamming. Wife has been complaining about cloudiness quite a bit of the summer, but mostly the FC has been ok.

Even though my CC has been fine for weeks, can algae persist?
    20k gal vollyball pool, IG, Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp Pentair Superflo Dual Speed main pump 340042 (2016), 3/4hp Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (2015), Polaris 380 cleaner & Hasa Liquidator w/3/8" upgrade (2013).
    Pool approx 10 years old, liner at least 4 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy and looks like algae?

algae does not equal CC.

So does that mean at some point you let the FC drop too low? That could have let the algae start and cloud the water.

With cloudy water you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Derp. Yes, FC dropped to zero at one point.
    20k gal vollyball pool, IG, Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp Pentair Superflo Dual Speed main pump 340042 (2016), 3/4hp Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (2015), Polaris 380 cleaner & Hasa Liquidator w/3/8" upgrade (2013).

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. Filter backwashed, rinsed and set to recirculate. Currently at 18 FC, so added another 60oz of 8.25% bleach and will test again in an hour. Then I should be at 20 and will scrub walls and such.

I guess I knew the answer, I was just shortcutting and not doing what I should.

So tell me...how dangerous has it been swimming with barely detectable levels of green algae?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you had at least the minimum FC level for your CYA, then it was not really that dangerous because any bacteria / viruses would have been killed. Algae is not really dangerous, but it does show up when the pool is not safe due to FC levels being too low.

This is why I do not like pool services who only care about the pool not being green. The use of copper / algaecides could prevent algae, but that does not mean the water is safe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!