Numbers

Apr 9, 2014
FOUR cORNERS
Hi Guys, I recieved my pool kit (TF100) a few day ago, I took some readings waited a few more days and wanted to share with you and frankly ask what I need to do?
ph-7.2
FC-9.5
TA-140
CYA -50
I did not do the CC or CH test should I? Poppa:)

krystal clear, its only been cloudy a couple of times through out the years, been very lucky, i/we do have a salt water generater and used it for a couple of years, noticed the metal frame was rusting up so we decided to go with chlorine tablets, I use one a week, shock after a weekend, it seems to b working.

- - - Updated - - -

that is dirt at bottom of pool
poolmods005.jpg

You current path forward is not sustainable. The tablets are adding CYA which will build up and required higher FC levels to prevent algae. There is no point of a weekly "shock" if you maintain adequate FC ... and depending on what you are using, is either adding more CYA or CH to the water.

Your CYA is at the top of the recommended range now for a non-SWG pool. So you must stop using tablets and powders ... or you will soon need to start draining and replacing water.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Well, to add to what Jason said, it isn't sustainable unless you plan on draining the pool at the end of swim season. Some with small above ground pools like yours do just that, so using tablets isn't the end of the world for them.

I will say that if you are maintaining the FC correctly, (yours is actually high) you do not need to do any additional treatments with any shock products. Save your money. The pool stores like to tell folks they need to shock weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. It isn't true. When I switched to salt I had someone tell me that I would have to shock every month, that it is part of the maintenance. He said this came from Leslie's, so it had to be true. I have never shocked my pool since switching to salt.

Good point Robbie. I saw the location and thought they may not actually close for the winter, but if the pool is drained then you might be fine is your closely monitor the CYA and FC levels.

Thanks You all very much, yes I have been reading, and that is why I/we purchaede the test kit, I knew I was close to being at max of CYA, Well my question for you is can I stop tabs and just start adding recommended bleach? my ph was low so I went to Calulator and added recommeded amount of baking soda, it brought it up to 7.2, I would like to bring up to 7.5 what do you think??

Review the links I provided. Baking soda is used to raise the TA not the pH which should be done with borax or soda ash.

Yes you can start using bleach at any time.

If your pH was 7.0 and you raised it to 7.2 with baking soda, then you raised your TA by 97.
If your pH was 6.8 and you raised it to 7.2 with baking soda, then you raised your TA by 194.
A high TA will cause your pH to climb much faster resulting in more acid additions to control it.

You can start adding bleach or liquid chlorine anytime. Just dont mix them at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.