Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers

Hi Guys, I recieved my pool kit (TF100) a few day ago, I took some readings waited a few more days and wanted to share with you and frankly ask what I need to do?
    ph-7.2
    FC-9.5
    TA-140
    CYA -50
    I did not do the CC or CH test should I? Poppa
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers

I would do the CC test whenever you do the FC test to be sure there are none. I would also run a CH test just to see where you're at. Low CH wouldn't matter, but if it's high, you want to know.

How does the water look?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

krystal clear, its only been cloudy a couple of times through out the years, been very lucky, i/we do have a salt water generater and used it for a couple of years, noticed the metal frame was rusting up so we decided to go with chlorine tablets, I use one a week, shock after a weekend, it seems to b working.

- - - Updated - - -

that is dirt at bottom of pool
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

You current path forward is not sustainable. The tablets are adding CYA which will build up and required higher FC levels to prevent algae. There is no point of a weekly "shock" if you maintain adequate FC ... and depending on what you are using, is either adding more CYA or CH to the water.

Your CYA is at the top of the recommended range now for a non-SWG pool. So you must stop using tablets and powders ... or you will soon need to start draining and replacing water.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, to add to what Jason said, it isn't sustainable unless you plan on draining the pool at the end of swim season. Some with small above ground pools like yours do just that, so using tablets isn't the end of the world for them.

I will say that if you are maintaining the FC correctly, (yours is actually high) you do not need to do any additional treatments with any shock products. Save your money. The pool stores like to tell folks they need to shock weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. It isn't true. When I switched to salt I had someone tell me that I would have to shock every month, that it is part of the maintenance. He said this came from Leslie's, so it had to be true. I have never shocked my pool since switching to salt.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good point Robbie. I saw the location and thought they may not actually close for the winter, but if the pool is drained then you might be fine is your closely monitor the CYA and FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks You all very much, yes I have been reading, and that is why I/we purchaede the test kit, I knew I was close to being at max of CYA, Well my question for you is can I stop tabs and just start adding recommended bleach? my ph was low so I went to Calulator and added recommeded amount of baking soda, it brought it up to 7.2, I would like to bring up to 7.5 what do you think??

8. Back To Top    #8

Review the links I provided. Baking soda is used to raise the TA not the pH which should be done with borax or soda ash.

Yes you can start using bleach at any time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

yes we will drain below suction port and float tube, we do get below zero here not for long but it does.

10. Back To Top    #10

If your pH was 7.0 and you raised it to 7.2 with baking soda, then you raised your TA by 97.
    If your pH was 6.8 and you raised it to 7.2 with baking soda, then you raised your TA by 194.
    A high TA will cause your pH to climb much faster resulting in more acid additions to control it.

You can start adding bleach or liquid chlorine anytime. Just dont mix them at the same time.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.