Orlando, FL | Help w/New Pool Equipment Sizing/Recommendations

Aug 5, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Hello - I've been lurking for a few days and I'm so thankful that I found this site prior to signing a pool contract and building. That said, I have a few questions and would very much appreciate everyone's help.

I live in Orlando, FL and plan to start pool construction this coming January. Right now I'm in the fact gathering/talk with pool builder/and refine design mode. I've narrowed the search to two builders and am now trying to make the apples to apples comparison with both - I think either could do the job and meet my expectations.

I'll start by asking for help to right-size the pool equipment. The pool will be free-form, roughly 15 x 30 ft, depth 3-5 ft, probably 13k-14k gallons with a spa. I plan for the spa to overflow into the pool - this will be the main water feature, but will also have a bubbler or two.

Based on the above information, is the equipment below the correct sizing? Let's assume 2.5" pipes. Any recommendations?

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
Pentair Heat Pump 125,000 BTU UltraTemp 120
Pentair Intelliclor 40
Pentair EasyTouch 4
Pentair Clean & Clear filter 200

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

My only thoughts are that you might want to go with a bigger filter, especially with the large pump and flow that you will want with the spa.
Also, I am not sure a heat pump is the best choice for a spa ... it may not heat up the spa very quickly, especially when the air cools off ... others might know better.

You likely could get by with a cheaper 2-speed pump as another option if you electrical costs are not very high. Also realize that the VS pumps are susceptible to damage from lightning strikes, so you should get lightning protection.

Welcome aeromitch. This site it's an awesome resource. I have the same pump you describe and I truly love it's flexibility. When connected with the intellitouch or easytouch system you can set up to 8 different speeds (I'm almost sure). We went with the pentair heat pump as well 140k BTU (no gas on property), however I can't offer any feedback on it because we haven't fired it up yet. I would also recommend a bigger filter, we opted for the pentair clean and clear 520, as far as the chlorinator it's recommended to be sized 1.5 - 3 times the size of the pool. Best of luck.

Jason makes good points. Lots of lighting here in central Florida. Living in Orlando FL, electric rates are cheap, the two-speed may be the way to go. Low when you're not using the spa. Are you planning on having the spa at a different temperature than then pool?
Have you considered adding solar. We're in a great area for it. Still have the Heat Pump for the coldest months. Will you be using a pool cover?

Jason, Northrider, and bobodaclown - I appreciate the feedback. You've triggered some new questions that I hope you'll answer.

I thought VS pump was the way to go (and of course we would have surge protection - I've heard that a TON!). But why would it make sense to have a 2 speed over a VS? I guess the only time we would want the spa and pool water to be different is when we are trying to heat up the spa.

What's the recommendation with intellitouch vs easytouch system? Could I easily upgrade later?

We'll go with a larger filter, which I assume is because you change it less frequently? Is upgrading to the IC60 worthwhile from the IC40?

And I've pretty much discounted solar - I'm not very comfortable with holes in my roof or water being pumped up there to heat. Is this a significant cost savings vs heat pump?

Our pool will be located all day in the sun - literally 9-10am until 8pm.

A 2-speed will save a lot of money over a single speed by running normal filtration on low speed (at least 50% savings).
A VS can run at an even lower speed so can save a little more (assuming the flow is enough) over the 2-speed ... but this extra savings with cheap power could be less than $5/month. So you have to consider how long would it take for the extra savings to outweigh the higher up-front cost.

But, if you need flow flexibility, then of course the VS is the way to go.

The IC40 is plenty big for your pool (3 times the size of your pool). I do not know much about the Pentair automation, but without it you get very limited control of the SWG output.

Solar will never heat your spa, so you will need some kind of heater for that even if you did have solar. Solar is just free heat for the shoulder seasons which allow you to not run the heater on the pool to make it comfortable. Realize, if you do not DIY, a solar setup is around $5k

Jason, you spoke about flow - what's the magic number for how many times you should have the water turned in your pool for the day? If I can cycle the water once, is that enough?

Looked around and cost of 2 speed vs VS is around $200 - doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also, the builder has given us the option to purchase the equipment ourselves. We could save a little bit vs the up charge for their cost to manage the logistics etc. Any recommended websites to purchase pool equipment that are reputable and offer competitive pricing?

Aero, I was in your boat just two days ago. What I've found is that everybody has their opinions based on their experience. All of the opinion if fellow posters are correct. In my case I am also I FL...and I could also go for either a 2 speed or a Vs pump. I ended up choosing a big VS Hayward ecostar pump for three main reasons:

1- price difference when compared to 2 speed is a non-factor considering the big picture.

2- by choosing a big vs pump I was able to cut a booster pump and run any future cleaners directly through the main pump.

3- automation. Vs pumps are more auto friendly.

Jason, you spoke about flow - what's the magic number for how many times you should have the water turned in your pool for the day? If I can cycle the water once, is that enough?

Looked around and cost of 2 speed vs VS is around $200 - doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also, the builder has given us the option to purchase the equipment ourselves. We could save a little bit vs the up charge for their cost to manage the logistics etc. Any recommended websites to purchase pool equipment that are reputable and offer competitive pricing?

I got all my equipment from http://www.azwholesalepoolequipment.com. They will also price match. Poolsupplyworld.com also has good prices with free shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aero, I was in your boat just two days ago. What I've found is that everybody has their opinions based on their experience. All of the opinion if fellow posters are correct. In my case I am also I FL...and I could also go for either a 2 speed or a Vs pump. I ended up choosing a big VS Hayward ecostar pump for three main reasons:

1- price difference when compared to 2 speed is a non-factor considering the big picture.

2- by choosing a big vs pump I was able to cut a booster pump and run any future cleaners directly through the main pump.

3- automation. Vs pumps are more auto friendly.

Re #2: EXCEPT the pressure side cleaners that require a booster pump. The size of your main pump does not matter

Re #3: The smaller VS pumps do not integrate well into automation at all. Any brand automation will control any brand 2-speed pump ... the larger VS pumps only work well with the same brand automation.

I got all my equipment from http://www.azwholesalepoolequipment.com. They will also price match. Poolsupplyworld.com also has good prices with free shipping.

Follow-up question: Though the builder said I can order the equipment myself to save some money they also suggested that some things may/may not get confusing - specifically the making sure the fittings are ordered correctly. For example if the plumber shows up and I'm missing a part they will likely leave and the project will be delayed. Does the equipment not come with the fittings, etc? I'm trying to better understand if it's worth ordering the equipment myself to save $2-4k VS having them do it and everything is on them in terms of responsibility. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.