Results look good - But eyes sting

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
We were in the pool for over 12 hrs on one day during the weekend and our eyes were really stinging. We have been in pool just as long before but never had this issue.

We have had a lot of rain and thunderstorms, could this be the cause? What does rain water do to pools? How does it affect the chemistry?

Here are our readings. Should we adjust anything?

Temp 82
Salt 3500
FCL 4
TCL 4
CCL 0
PH 7.5
APH 7.5
TA 110
ATA 110
CYA 40
CA 200

Did these results come from a pool store by any chance? I do not recognize APH, ATA, and CA. Everything else looks good. If it was tested by a pool store, the results are probably off.

Rain water can decrease the pH of the pool. A low or high pH can cause eye stinging, but your pH is within the ideal range (7.2 - 7.8).

Im sure they did, and if they are even close, there is nothing there to suggest stinging eyes. I'd say the 12 hours in would be the reason more than anything. If chems were going to make your eyes sting, it would happen sooner.

As for rain, not much unless there is a large amount, ( as in several inches) surface run off into your pool, or an extremely small pool. The rain certainly did not cause the stinging eyes.

After that amount of time, I am not sure there is a way to avoid eye irritation regardless of how the water is balanced.

Remember that as you are in the pool, you are generating CC which can be irritating. They are constantly burned off by the sun and broken down by the FC, but they could still be a factor and not show up in the test after the fact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.