May 8, 2014
Banning Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I think I have mustard algae!
I was gone for a couple days and came home to no clorine and a brown yellow tint at the bottom and lower sides of my pool. Added 2 lbs of shock ultra blue algicide, brushed, vaccuumed, back flushed filter, repeated. Now it's not sticking to the bottom but the water is cloudy and slightly brownish yellow. I do not have the option of replacing water , due to severe drought and monitored meter from the city. ( they are fining for over use).
Here are my test results from the TF-50
FC 13
CC 0.5
TC 13.5
CH 250
TA 160
CYA 90
Not sure what to do
Should I add DE to catch the fine particles that seem to be coming back through the filter?
I'm new and have had this pool since may this year.
Thank you for your help

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Your CYA is pretty high, so a 50% water replacement would be ideal. To clear up the pool, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, which would be easier at a lower CYA level, but not required. Your FC is no where near high enough for this process. See the FC/CYA Chart.

What is your pH? You may need to order FAS-DPD refills or you may run out prior to clearing up the pool. You are looking at using over 60 drops for each FC test.

Ph is 7.8 and yes I will need to order replacements for that and also the CYA agent. I can't replace my water so if there is a long road to take to get the results I need I am willing to take it. I think I figured out how much clorine I need to add to get the pool to shock level . I just put the goal amount in the calculator along with the current reading and it said I needed to add 200 oz. so I'm off to get that . I appologize for the lack of understanding how this all works but I am learning and it will get easier I'm sure :)

Your shock level is 35ppm, you are currently at 13ppm ... according to PoolMath for a 15k pool you need 498 oz of 8.25% bleach. I am not sure how you got only 200oz.
Plus remember that you need to maintain the FC at 35ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop ... so you will need a lot of bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

And remember ideally you should lower the pH, but the test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm.

Sorry for the typo it was 400 oz 10% bleach. I added and brushed pool again. I also bought DE I was thinking of adding that to my filter to help with the tiny particles would that be recommended ? Looking into the reverse osmosis but it seems pretty expensive for my budget right now. It's been an hour and the pool looks better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.