Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ORP and Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

ORP and Bromine

I understand that ORP measurements are not reliable for determining the chlorine concentration in swimming pools and spas due to cyanuric acid presence. In case of using bromine for sanitizing a swimming pool or a spa and cyanuric acid is not present, is it then possible to use the ORP measurements to determine the bromine concentrations? Would it be a reliable method?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ORP and Bromine

The short answer is no.

ORP is influenced by many factors and getting reliable equivalents to FC or Br can be very tricky and usually is that at best. You can experiment, but it is usually quite difficult to be consistent. Then, there is calibration, sometimes needed very frequently with ORP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

You would basically use ORP with bromine the same way you would use it with chlorine, for process control manually measuring the chlorine or bromine level with a good test kit and then setting a setpoint on the ORP controller. Even then, you may find that using ORP to control the chlorine or bromine level that it varies for reasons that have nothing to do with those levels. Sunlight, hydrogen gas, high bather load buildup of oxidizable organics, etc.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the time you spent to answer my questions. All is clear now.