Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction gauge for manual vac?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction gauge for manual vac?

Hey everyone,

So I would like to have a tool/gauge that I can place on the business end of my manual vac hose to test the suction of my system. Does such a thing exist? If not how can I measure the vacuum suction of my vacuum?
    22,750 gallon in-ground Vinyl Liner (1 main, 2 skimmers, 5 returns) 16x38 from 4' to 9'
    1hp A.O. Smith coupled to Hayward Superpump 52gpm
    300 lb Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo sand filter
    Hayward Comfortzone gas heater
    Manual Pool Vacuum (yes seriously)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction gauge for manual vac?

While you don't really need to know the suction head at the vacuum, the easiest thing to do is get a compound gauge with a range of -30" Hg - 30 PSIG and connect it to the drain fitting at the basket on the pump.

If you really wanted to know the suction at the vacuum head, you could hook up a threaded reducing tee at the vacuum and run a small vacuum rated tubing from there to the compound gauge on the surface.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama, that is a great idea! Would the T fitting have to be 1.5" to reflect the diameter of my vacuum hose? Also, I am guessing that the vacuum tubing that goes from the fitting end to the surface gauge would have to be primed as well before running the vacuum? Finally, do you think the suction psi at the skimmer would vary much from the suction psi at my vacuum attachment?

I really appreciate the advice! I have always wanted to better monitor the performance suction of my manual vac, rather than having to constantly reach down to feel and make sure I am getting suction. Lol
    22,750 gallon in-ground Vinyl Liner (1 main, 2 skimmers, 5 returns) 16x38 from 4' to 9'
    1hp A.O. Smith coupled to Hayward Superpump 52gpm
    300 lb Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo sand filter
    Hayward Comfortzone gas heater
    Manual Pool Vacuum (yes seriously)

4. Back To Top    #4

The Tee would need to be the size of your vacuum hose.

You don't necessarily need to fill the tubing, but it would keep the vacuum from sucking a little air out of it if you did.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit