I have read many of the Pool School articles here but are there any Spa School articles? I didn't notice any but maybe I missed them.
My spa is a Jacuzzi J-345 circa 2006 and I use Bromine tabs that go in the filter cartridge. Obviously this is a standalone spa, it is not part of my pool system, and, unlike my pool, we use it twelve months of the year. The spa is covered when not in use with a 3" thick insulated cover. We keep the spa temp at about 100F.
Questions that I would have include the following:
- Is there anything different with Bromine vs all of the articles on Chlorine? Other than the fact that you don't use CYA.
- I use Spa Shock granules about once a week. Is this a good idea? Should I just use plain Cl instead?
- I empty, clean and refill the spa 3-4 times per year. Is that about right?
- When I empty the water I hose down the filter cartridges. Should I be using Filter Brite or something like that to clean them?
- Do I need to be concerned about TA levels? What about CH?
- I assume that the aeration from the jets will increase pH - is that correct? If so should I be regularly adding MA to decrease pH?
- How often should I change the cartridge filters?
- My spa generally foams a bit - why is this? Is this an issue? I don't mind and the kids like it.
- Occasionally my FC/FB level tests very low, even though the Br dispenser is open and the Br is dissolving on a regular basis. Why is this and should I be concerned? I normally add Br granules when this is the case.
- What is a bromine bank that I have read about elsewhere?