Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help me pick a Stenner pump

1. Back To Top    #1

help me pick a Stenner pump

I'm ready to finally get a Stenner pump & tank for chlorination

I'm looking for recommendations on which pump to buy. I plan on using a 15gallon tank .

Is this setup viable ? I'm not sure which pump this is ......

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/AutoP...medium=Display

more pumps listed here ......

http://www.stenner.com/products/pump...output#boxtab4

US Water systems has most Stenner products on sale .....

http://www.uswatersystems.com/brands...66_765_764_763

http://www.uswatersystems.com/brands...umps_parts=808

Thanks for all advice
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

2. Back To Top    #2
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Re: help me pick a Stenner pump

Cnatra, I just asked where I can look for stenner pumps and I stumbled onto your post. Thanks for the links! A lot of the people on here have the 10 gpd version and a few have the 5 gpd. I can't imagine ever needing to inject 10 gallons of bleach in a day.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

3. Back To Top    #3
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like USWater has about the best deal. You could probably get by with a 5gpd on your size pool, but I'd recommend the 10gpd. It's not about having to inject 10 gallons per day it's about having enough capacity that you can run it shorter lengths of time to inject enough FC into the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Try craigslist or car wash for used 15 gallon barrel. My whole setup stenner pump (was on sale), timer , gallon barrel total cost $229
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

i have the 45M5 which is a 50 GPD. I have a 20 minute run time on it while my pumps run at night. Personally i like to run the stenner for a short amount of time, get the FC up near the beginning of the 6 hour pool pump run time, and get all the water turned over with the proper amount of chlorine in it. It also helps i only run about 13 PSI on my DE Filter...

I found my 15 gallon drum from a guy in Katy on Craigslist, but it looks like his ad is gone now, but it seemed like he got them often (Detergent for power washing was in them)
    40,000 gallon ig gunite, Pentair Challanger Century Centurion 2.2 HP Pump, FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 280, Century Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Attached ig spa - 1HP Centurion pump - Dual non functioning blowers

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess I'll go with a 10 GPD pump then plugged into an external timer
    (although I'd be surprised if I ever need inject more than 2gal a day)

so what about variable speed ? any reason to consider that ?

I'm going to stick with the 15gallon Stenner tank for convenience of mounting & the footprint of the tank to fit with my equipment

I have a Pentair VS pump that runs anywhere from 1600rpm-2400-2700 depending on time of day (10-20psi filter pressure) depending on the RPMs I have it set at .
    How does the filter PSI come into play with the Stenner pump utilization ??

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen the LMI pumps before. How do those compare to the Stenners ?
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty much the same as a stenner.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

so at the above link I'm looking at the 45MP models with a 1-5 suffix then it lists the pump tube number which translates into different gallons per hour & then of course GPDs

so what is the difference in the "pump tube number" ? the "flex hose" tube diameter from tank to pump ??

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl View Post
    Try craigslist or car wash for used 15 gallon barrel. My whole setup stenner pump (is was on sale), timer , gallon barrel total cost $229

I was looking at your timer in another thread

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...igger-too-fast

what is it & where'd you get it ?

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

If I'm not mistaken the LMI pumps are diaphragm pumps and the Stenners are peristaltic. With peristaltic pumps you don't have to worry about vapor locking from outgassing like can happen in a diaphragm pump.

The "Pump Tube" number and the suction and feed tube sizes are two completely different things. The Pump Tube number is what determines the flow rate of the pump. With Stenner pumps, the only thing you have to do to change pump sizes is to change the Pump Tube to a different number.
    The suction and feed tube size is either 1/4" or 3/8". You only need the 3/8" if you're pumping very viscous liquids (think honey), otherwise the 1/4" is sufficient. I also recommend the UV stabilized black tubing for outdoor applications.

Even though I have an adjustable model I no longer recommend them. It's easier to get a fixed model and use a separate timer or relay in your automation system if you have one. The issue with the adjustable models is that it makes a slight clicking noise when running less than 100% and that clicking noise is actually mechanical parts that are wearing out. That amounts to a little more maintenance and replacement than you should have with a fixed model.

They make a variable speed model now that doesn't use the mechanical means of adjustment. It's the Econ and comes in several different models. I haven't had any experience with them yet, but they look like good options.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

The "Pump Tube" number and the suction and feed tube sizes are two completely different things. The Pump Tube number is what determines the flow rate of the pump. With Stenner pumps, the only thing you have to do to change pump sizes is to change the Pump Tube to a different number.
    The suction and feed tube size is either 1/4" or 3/8". You only need the 3/8" if you're pumping very viscous liquids (think honey), otherwise the 1/4" is sufficient. I also recommend the UV stabilized black tubing for outdoor applications.
    Thanks for the info !!

think I'm going with the 45MP4 mounted on a 15gallon tank

13. Back To Top    #13

It's Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10. This model is fixed output 10 gpd. I adjust my run time by timer. Got it at uswatersystems.com
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

It's Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10. This model is fixed output 10 gpd. I adjust my run time by timer. Got it at uswatersystems.com
    What kind of timer are you using ?

15. Back To Top    #15

It is a "Woods Model # 50015" Google it and you should be able to find it for around $20.

16. Back To Top    #16

It is a "Woods Model # 50015" Google it and you should be able to find it for around $20.
    Thanks