Replacement of Solar Diverter Valve

mgill

Apr 20, 2012
Morgan Hill, CA
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The diverter valve in my solar line stopped working a few weeks ago. It got so gummed up it burned out the actuator. When I took the valve apart the diverter was cracked and pulling apart so I ordered this diverter.

Its a COMPOOL diverter valve. When I got the part I went to switch it out and noticed that the two parts are slightly different - the top end of the diverter that goes into the casing is shorter on this new part. I figured that would be ok but the diverter also does not push all the way into the casing by about 2mm, but its enough to keep the top of the valve from closing. See pics below.

The real question here is - what part do I buy? Ive gone through the Pentair part diagrams and cant find another part that looks like mine. There is no apparent part number on the part itself and the guy that installed the pool is no longer around. Anyone know what diverter part I need? I need to replace the one on the left in the photo below. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Mark

Photo 1: Old diverter on the left, new one on the right. Note the length of the part coming out of the top. Much shorter on the new one. Even though the photo makes it look this way the bottom part of the pieces are identical in length and size. The only difference that I can see and measure between the two parts is the length of the plastic coming out the top.
View attachment 32526

Photo 2: Old diverter installed. Note depth - this is far enough in for the top piece to screw down tightly.
2014-08-05 19.12.52.jpg

Photo 3: New diverter in same position, doesnt sink into the casing quite as far, top wont close.
2014-08-05 19.13.12.jpg

What were the brands? Looks like you ordered a Pentair diverter but have a Jandy valve? They are not compatible.What does your handle look like?

I bought my entire valves for less than that part, btw.

What were the brands? Looks like you ordered a Pentair diverter but have a Jandy valve? They are not compatible.What does your handle look like?

I bought my entire valves for less than that part, btw.

The valve clearly says COMPOOL on the top. If I do a search on COMPOOL replacement parts the first hit is to Pentair. The handle does say Jandy though, but I had always assumed the handle was added after the fact because the actuator is on the valve 100% of the time. There is no original handle. Photo of valve top is below.

Once we figure out what I need to buy Im hoping I'm sending that part back and saving some cash. But dont yet know what to buy.

If I follow the path to the Jandy/Zodiac replacement part it appears that its located here.

I see that the entire valves are cheaper. But Im paying for the convenience of replacing the part - are you suggesting that I cut pipe and replace the entire valve?

Thanks for the help!

2014-08-05%2019.14.51.jpg

Well, I have not seen a valve that says compool before, so am not sure what parts are compatible. You certainly could cut it out and put a new valve in. Or even just buy the full valve and take the diverter out of it, assuming we figure out something compatible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.