Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal?

My sand filter is flowing weak lately. So, I decided to give it a clean. When I opened the top part of the sand container, I had found that whole bunch of dirty stuff inside the lid. I cleaned it. Then I saw the water inside the tank is so dirty, like dark brown. There is about half of inch of drossy/sediment on top of the sand. I pick it out as much as I could. Closed the tank top, wasted it but the water came out clear. So, I turned on the filter. At the inlet, I saw dark brown water flowing back to the pool. I used the hose to catch (what I could) that and ran it out side. Can't believe how much dirty the water is. After that, the water was clean.

Why the filter throwing dirty water back to the pool?

I guess the dirty water is supposed to come out when I used wasted function. For some reason, it didn't work. As a result, the dirty stayed in the tank and blow back to the pool????
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex sand filter 1600 GPH
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Taylor K2006 kit & Taylor Salt Water Test Kit K-1766
    Installed 4/29/13

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal?

Did you put the filter on "rinse" before putting it back on "filter"?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Periodically, the sand will get "channeled" and can not filter as effectively as it is able to.
    Its a good idea to deep clean a sand filter when you note the filtering not working as well as ususl.
    Here is a link for you and there is also a video which is very helpful.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

You didn't mention anything about backwashing and rinsing. Those should should have been your first steps. You only need to open the top to perform a deep clean, which isn't what you did there.

First, set the lever to backwash. With that filter, I typically run it about a minute or so. Just watch the output and when it turns clear, you're done. Then set the lever to rinse. I usually run it about 30 seconds or so. Set it back to filter and you should see your output go back to normal. If not, then resort to the suggestion divin dave gave you.

Remember to always turn off the pump while moving the lever otherwise you can damage the unit.

Running with the lever on waste does nothing for this situation. Waste routes the water directly from the pool to the waste port, completely bypassing the filter.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

5. Back To Top    #5

I am at work right now, but after I was reading this, I think I know why. It was my DUMB mistake.

The process is "filter - backwashing - rinse" and I have been doing that since I have the pool last year.

After came back from 2 weeks vacation (I set timer but the pool was still filthy because the water vaporized and about getting below the skimmer), there were many things to do so I lost my mine. Instead of backwashing, I did "filter - waste - rinse". No wonder such the filthy water stuck in the tank.

Have 2 questions though:

When you guys rinse after backwashing, do you guys close or leave the outlet open? I always closed it when I rinse but I saw on you tube people leave it open

When you guy vacuum the pool, do you set the filter on waste or set on filter?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless vacuuming a huge amount of debris, I vacuum on filter.

Could you explain exactly what you mean by "leave the outlet open"?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I meant the outlet where I remove the cap, connect the hose for backwashing. When I have done, I remove the hose, close the cap for rinse. Do you do the rinse while the hose connected?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

8. Back To Top    #8

The rinse water is also directed out through the backwash hose. When you cap it off you are forcing the water back into the filter and building up pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I also don't vac to waste unless there is a HUGE mess (never happened yet ). With only a 4k gallon pool, and entire vac session would lower the water WAY too much.

Yeah, as stated above, rinse also purges through the backwash port. If you've attempted to rinse with the cap on, you've probably already damaged something unless you were lucky. Didn't it sound weird? I can't imagine it sounded normal. I've accidentally forgotten to open the return line valve before turning the pump on and i knew in 1 second something was wrong.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Darn, I am always rinse with the cap closed. In fact, it sounds louder than I got it last year. If I recall, the Index manual didn't say anything about this

So, can I just install the hose on backwashing port and leave it there for good?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Yes, rinse with the backwash hose on.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by hpdad View Post
    So, can I just install the hose on backwashing port and leave it there for good?
    I leave mine on all the time because it is positioned where I don't have to look at it every day. My next hard plumb expansion is likely to plumb the waste line so I don't have to mess with the hose at all.