Your Advice Was Perfect...Need an Update

lsjfla

Jul 30, 2014
Land O Lakes, FL
I posted here several weeks ago about high CYA and advice I was given by pool store. With your spot on advice (and not what the pool store told me), my pool is now pristine, and I am off all pool store chemicals, including trichlor. I'm using bleach to sanitize.

Here are my latest #s:
FC - 8
CC - 0
pH - 8.0 (may be a bit higher - but at least 8.0)
TA - 125
CYA - 140
Borates - 30 (used testing strips)

I have added 1.5 gals. of 8.25% bleach this evening to raise the FC; my target is 8-15. Do I need to lower the pH? The CYA is slowing coming down a bit..from a high of 170, as is TA, from a high of 150. pH has been consistently at 7.8-8.0 since early July.

Thank you so much for a great website!

Linda Johnson
15,700 gal. vinyl in ground pool, Hayward Max Flo XL pump

Welcome to TFP!

Do you know where your other post is, or the user name you originally used? Knowing the history of the pool would help us give you better suggestions.

How are you getting those test results?

I notice you indicate that you have brought down your CYA slightly - are you under water restrictions?
It is preferable to bring your CYA down further by doing a partial drain and refill, unless you are under water restrictions.

1) Reduce CYA by a partial drain and refill if possible
2) Adjust pH
3) Dose FC according to CYA levels (you are under the minimum FC for your CYA level)

I would advise you to read ABCs of pool water chemistry if you haven't already done so.

Also, could you please add your pool details to your signature as indicated in this post?

Good post by Abagail, spot on.

The only way to bring CYA down is water replacement (drain and fill - not just adding when water evaporates)

Bring your pH down to 7.5 and follow her guidelines.

Do I need to lower my pH

I thought I had already posted this, but I can't find it, so here we go again. Sorry if it's a duplicate:

You did. I have now merged the 2 threads. Please keep it all together now. Thanks, jblizzle

Several weeks ago you gave me some great advice re: high CYA and chlorine levels. My pool looks great -- no cloudiness, no signs of algae. I'm using bleach -- got rid of the trichlor tabs because of high CYA. My pH is running around 8.0 (could be a bit higher -- my K-2006 test kit only shows 8) -- should I lower it? I don't want to mess with the balance if I don't need to.

Here are my latest numbers:

FC - 10
CC - 0
pH - 8.0-8.2
TA - 125
CYA - 140
CH - 30 (I assume this is irrelevant with vinyl pool, but I check it occasionally)
Borates - 30 (tested with strips -- is this also irrelevant for now?)

Thank you so much. Love this website and your excellent advice!

Ok...I thought my pool info was under my name (looks like it is above): 15,700 gal. vinyl in ground pool, Hayward Max Flo XL pump, Hayward filter (chlorine based). No longer using tri-chlor tabs in the dispenser unless I go out of town.

The only user name I've used is lsjfla; my first post would have been early July. I've looked back and can't find it. I did post another one after this (this am), because I wasn't sure this one made it through. Sorry!

I am using K-2006 test kit and borate test strips. The CYA was 180 (use of trichlor tabs for a year) when I first posted in early July. I have drained some water in the last few weeks, mostly because of rain, not necessarily to lower CYA. I knew from earlier advice that high CYA required higher FC, so I've been keeping between 8-15 FC. I added bleach after my last post (when it was 8).

Here are my numbers this am:

FC - 12.5
CC - 0
pH - 8 (could be higher -- this is the highest # on the kit)
TA - 125
CYA - 140
CH - 80 -- I check this periodically, but I understand that this doesn't matter with vinyl pool unless it gets very high. Right?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

OK.. thanks all for getting my posts organized and together and for your responses. I'll add muriatic acid to get the pH down and start working on reducing the CYA.

The only user name I've used is lsjfla; my first post would have been early July.
You sure it was on this forum? Because there is no record of a previous post or another user at your IP address. No matter.

With a CYA of 140, your minimum FC level is 11ppm ... so you need to be targeting 15ppm everyday. Problem is, with the FC > 10ppm, the pH test is not valid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.