Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calling the masters...black algae dots

1. Back To Top    #1

Calling the masters...black algae dots

Well the troublefreepool was going quite well after a month and a half...however Im noticing a growth in black algae on the floor....I had always thought these were just cracks in the pool surface and damaged surface, now its increasing. So I'm guessing that maybe I never fully killed the algae that was in the pool and thinking that it was just normal wear and tear....

I've read you need to slam the pool and brush with a wire brush diligently everyday , however it is a painted pool and it looks like most the black algae is attached to where the paint has either peeled up or is cracking. So knowing that I cant use a steel wire brush , what can I do >??

CYA - 40
    FC ~ 5
    CC ~ 0.5
    Total alk - 140
    PH - 7.4
    28x18 Rio Style *painted* pool ~14,000 , 1 hp Hayward , 1200c Star Clear Plus and a PA120 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Calling the masters...black algae dots

A photo or three might be helpful.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Black algae forms a crust and the wire brush breaks the crust and exposes the algae so the chlorine can do it job.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Nightime here ill get pictures in the morning..... also I realize that , but won't a wire brush scrape the paint off the pool ?
    28x18 Rio Style *painted* pool ~14,000 , 1 hp Hayward , 1200c Star Clear Plus and a PA120 Cartridge Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmymcg1 View Post
    won't a wire brush scrape the paint off the pool ?
    It may, so go lightly at first. If you have a puck you may be able to scrub the stain with the puck. That would require diving in with a mask and such.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

okay I think I figured out my own problem , apparently my CYA has quickly disappeared from the massive rainfall we have been having in central florida. So the chlorine is properly getting eaten up as quickly as Im throw it in, from the sun. Also I noticed my ph raised to 7.6, so I'll have to lower that down as well. Can I use a skimmer sock to throw the stabilizer into the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Can I use a skimmer sock to throw the stabilizer into the pool?
    Adding CYA via sock method means putting the CYA in a sock and hanging it in the skimmer (careful to not restrict water flow) or hanging the sock in front of a return. Hanging in front of the return is the best idea, imho, for most situations.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

You could try a trichlor puck (or maybe a pumice stone?) attached to the end if a pole to scrub the algae.

Having the painted surface does create some delima, as you are aware.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add something like "painted pool" in your sig for us
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

My brother-in-law scrubbed them off with a trichlor puck.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

haha sorry I will update that for yall. I appreciate the response, and I understand the method of adding CYA to the pool , my question is can I use a skimmer sock instead of a nylon stocking type sock to hang it in front of a return jet?

Also Ill be getting tricholor puck today to help the process ... is it a good idea to put it in a sock or wear gloves , would it damage my skin or irritate to hold the puck ? I see you said attached to a pole, does the pool store carry an adapter to hold the puck ?

Thanks again!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I just use an old cotton sock so the skimmer sock should work just fine. What did you find your CYA level to be at ??

The pucks are pretty strong and wearing gloves would be a good idea but not a necessity.

Don't know of any adapter to hold the tablet, just need to rig something up. The trick is to remember if you are tying it up it's going to be shrinking as it's used.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

considering I can see the black dot pretty clearly with the CYA test filled to the top , probably less than 15 or so YIKES!!