Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool heater over flame?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heater over flame?

Hi - turned on the pool heater today and noticed that it cycled a few times. Took off the cover and noticed it was shooting flames out the edges.

Disconnected it, blew out the leaves and debris and it's still doing it. It's been turned off and gas supply off as well.

Do I need to disassemble the main gas 'bar' and clean the jets more thoroughly ?

Call a pro ?

Thanks

NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool heater over flame?

You might have spider webs or something in the burners. I would shut off gas, shut off electrical, undo union in gas pipe by gas valve, disconnect wires from gas valve, wire from ingnitor, unscrew screws holding the burner tray in place (bottom front left and right side of tray), and unscrew screw holding ignitor in place. Once all of that is done, remove tray and inspect the burners. Maybe something made a nest on top of them. If they look rusted etc, wire brush them carefully and then use some compressed air to blow them out. Also inspect the gas manifold that they are connected to. Make sure no holes on the left end. Once you have done all of that, put it back together and try it again.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool heater over flame?

Excellent. I'll give that a shot. Thank for the advice.
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator