Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for pump/filter recommedations

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for pump/filter recommedations

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread to ask your own questions and not hijack another members thread which can result in confusion. Thanks, jblizzle

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is the perfect pump. And that filter should work as will ... bigger is always better.
    I've read on other sites that bigger can be dangerous...but I assume it's ok to turn the pump off when the pool is in use and turn it back on when empty. Is that ok to do? I have a 15' 48" Intex (4400 gallons) with the tiny and very ineffective 1000gph cartridge filter and I'd like to upgrade to something much better for next season. The current pump will be ok since there's only about 6-8 weeks of pool season left here. Probably going sand and salt for next year but I'd like something that will really get the water moving when turned on.

Like this....

http://www.amazon.com/Ground-4500gph...nd+pool+filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing my filter/pump...Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I've read on other sites that bigger can be dangerous...but I assume it's ok to turn the pump off when the pool is in use and turn it back on when empty. Is that ok to do? I have a 15' 48" Intex (4400 gallons) with the tiny and very ineffective 1000gph cartridge filter and I'd like to upgrade to something much better for next season. The current pump will be ok since there's only about 6-8 weeks of pool season left here. Probably going sand and salt for next year but I'd like something that will really get the water moving when turned on.

Like this....

http://www.amazon.com/Ground-4500gph...nd+pool+filter
    I was talking about FILTERS not pumps, where bigger is better. They are 2 different pieces of equipment, although often newer pool owners who buy the combo units get the terminology mixed up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Looking for pump/filter recommedations

Gotcha. But still...in all in one unit with a large pump could still be dangerous I'd think. If on when people are in the pool. Is it ok to turn the pump/filter off when people are swimming?

I was also looking at this unit...not as powerful but all in one pump/filter/salt....

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-28681EG-...b_title_garden

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Looking for pump/filter recommedations

It depends on your plumbing setup whether it is safe or not. If you only have a single wall suction line, then that is more dangerous. Also some Intex pumps specifically state that you should not run them while swimming.

Any of the Intex sand filter/pump/SWG will be fine for your pool. May not be the best to have the all in one combo though if say the SWG fails.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!