Hayward doesn't have an answer-HELP PLS

mriche

Jul 24, 2008
Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filtration sytem blast sand for 1 or 2 seconds into the pool each time the filter is turned on.
Doughboy AG 16x24 pool.

After manually vacuuming, I need to turn the pump/filter off to get the lid of the skimmer off vacuum position and back to it's orginal state.
When I turn the pump/filter back on, it blasts what I just vacummed back into the pool!

What a waste of time!
Hayward doesn't seem to know why this is happening. :? :?

Next time, place the valve in the "rinse" position and then turn the pump on for 30 seconds or so. After turning the pump off, then go to the "filter" position and see if that doesn't eliminate or minimize the "blowback"

It sounds like just normal vacuuming is somehow disturbing the sand bed much like if you backwashed. It's not supposed to do that but the "rinse" position may help.....it also may not.....it's the best I can think of for now.

The pump manual just says Power-Flo Matrix Pump Series. Does not provide model. Will walk over to pump to see if the info is posted on it.

the Filter is Model S166T90 Pro Series-High Rate Sand filtration system

That sounds like the Hayward matched systems, where you get a filter and a pump together on the same base. Those are matched systems that shouldn't have any of the problems I was suspecting. If you upgraded to a 2 HP pump with that filter, then there would be problems.

There are a number of things that might be wrong with the filter. Sand getting through almost always means a cracked or broken lateral pipe. Though there are other things that can break and have the same effect, it is usually the laterals that break first. If you are feeling handy you might want to open it up take the sand out and closely examine all of the laterals and look around for any other problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.