Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing CH? Necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarksburg, WV

Testing CH? Necessary?

Is it necessary to constantly test my calcium levels since I have a vinyl ABG? I know its a big deal with a plaster Inground.

How often is recommended for an ABG? Once a month? Every 2 weeks? Every week?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Douglasville, GA

Re: Testing CH? Necessary?

CH not a factor in vinyl pools. Maybe check it once or twice a season if you are interested, other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

Well...don't let it get too high if you use cal-hypo or something like that.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

You should test at the beginning of the season to make sure you have at least 50 and not more than 250 ppm of calcium. If you use cal-hypo then you should test bi-monthly to make sure you stay under 250 ppm. If you have very hard fill water you will want to check after you add water from the tap and if it climbs over 350 ppm keep the pH 7.0-7.2 so you don't develop scale.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sacramento, CA

Low CH is not an issue for a vinyl pool, but high CH can be an issue for any pool. +1 to Tado921's position of a few times per season. If it is high you may want to measure more often to keep a handle on it and determine if any action is needed (drain/refill or maintain low pH)
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator