Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are there new 2014 rules for bonding above ground pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are there new 2014 rules for bonding above ground pools?

I was getting set to purchase the materials I needed to bond my 24' AGP and the electrical guy at Home Depot told me that the code changed this year and now you don't need to run the bond wire around the pool, but only need to bond the water itself, typically using one of those skimmer basket attachments. Can anyone confirm if that is true? This guy has been there for years and has always given me great, accurate advise for all of my electrical projects.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are there new 2014 rules for bonding above ground pools?

You would really have to check with your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction for Building Inspections). Only they can give the definitive answer for your location.

While there is one National Electrical Code, every jurisdiction is free to adopt when and if they see fit. The NEC can change, but your county/town may still be operating under the 2012 code, the 2010 code or even an earlier one. To add more confusion each jurisdiction also has the authority to accept or reject any part of the code and substitute their own regulations.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, sounds like a can of worms. But do we know if the code did, in fact, change this year?

4. Back To Top    #4

The code did in fact change, BUT not like he stated. They added section (C) to 680.26 and it's in addition to the existing part of the code not instead of.

In essence, it states that if the water isn't bonded by the other means, then you must specifically bond it using a non-corrosive water bond 9sqin or more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit