Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in return jets

I was wondering if its normal to have air bubbles in the water return to the pool. My pool is only about six months old and has spit out buubles since install. Maybe this is normal, possibly created in the DE filter. I have tried to bleed the filter for a few minutes w a little improvement.

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in return jets

That is not normal - usually indicative of a suction side leak. Check the strainer lid first to be sure it is snug and has some lubricant on the o ring (use pool silicon lubricant - NOT Vaseline.) That is your most likely culprit.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Doesn't the lid have a hole in it anyway to place ur finger for removal.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Soonersalt View Post
    Doesn't the lid have a hole in it anyway to place ur finger for removal.
    ??? Your thinking of the skimmer the lid to check and seal is the one on your pump that screws on above the leaf strainer.
    16 x 36 inground vinyl w/ covered steps. 9 1/2 ft deep end w/ diving board. 27,000 gal.
    PacFab Challenger 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump, Pureflo 300 lb sand filter, Pentair chlorine feeder
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 return lines and NO LEAKS "knock on wood" LOL.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can tell us the brand and model of your pump or post a picture of it we can tell you how to remove the pump strainer pot lid.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mark-o View Post
    ??? Your thinking of the skimmer the lid to check and seal is the one on your pump that screws on above the leaf strainer.
    Spot on - Strainer should look something like this:

and is attached to the pump.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Feeling kinda blonde at the moment. Yes I had that off before. I assume silicone sealer is at lowes. Seems like I may have something like that at the house Will give it a shot today sometime. I had commented to the builder at the beginning but he didn't seem to think much of it. I would think it would be hard on the pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Silicone pool lube, not sealer. You will want to open it again!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for replies. I tried a good dose of silicone lube. Unfortunately little improvement. I can't figure how it can pull air. The pump is a Jandy Stealth Pro Series. I have two of these. The one on the waterfall runs great. I did swap tops just to see and it still pulled air. I also switched to bottom pull only and then skimmer only. Seems like it labors more on either one than on both. Any other ideas

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you lose prime when the pump has been powered off for a few hours? When you turn the pump off, does water squirt out of the strainer basket? Do you have chlorinator?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

No on the first two but yes on the chlorinator. It does loose prime when I remove the cover of the strainer top but I would think that is normall. It reprimes itself w start