Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Magic TCCA" Tablets - Anyone Used these?

1. Back To Top    #1

"Magic TCCA" Tablets - Anyone Used these?

Hi,

I use Sodium Hypochlorite as my main source of Chlorine but once in a while use TCCA 90% Tablets to maintain the Cyanuric Acid level.

My Pool Chem supplier is now offering what they call "Magic TCCA" tablets which are a mix of TCCA, Alum and Copper Sulphate. The specs are:

Available Chlorine - 83%
    Aluminium Sulphate - 4%
    Copper Sulphate - 2.5%
    PH Value - 2.72

Has anyone used these? Is there any downside to using these over the regular TCCA 90% Tablets? I do maintain 50ppm borates using Borax.

Thanks.
    14000 Gal. Inground Overflow Pool with DIY Sheer Waterfall Return. Norman Robotic Pool Cleaner.
    TechnoPool PH Acid Doser. DIY Chlorine Doser. Waterco 2.5HP Pump/Filter with Glass Media (0.8mm Glass Beads).

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: "Magic TCCA" Tablets - Anyone Used these?

Using products that add copper is a bad idea.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Using products that add copper is a bad idea.
    Hi, what would be the bad / good effects of using copper?
    14000 Gal. Inground Overflow Pool with DIY Sheer Waterfall Return. Norman Robotic Pool Cleaner.
    TechnoPool PH Acid Doser. DIY Chlorine Doser. Waterco 2.5HP Pump/Filter with Glass Media (0.8mm Glass Beads).

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It can cause staining, can turn the water green, and also will discolor blonde hair.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

The copper is there to act as an algaecide. If you keep your FC in range you won't need to worry about algae. If you decide you need an algacide to prevent algae (algacides don't kill algae very well) use a polyquate 60 based algacide. Stay away from anything that adds metals to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

The aluminum sulphate is an "alum floc" that is used to clarify the water, but that is also not necessary if you maintain proper chlorine levels (FC/CYA ratio) and have adequate circulation/filtration.

As for copper staining, it is a particularly hard stain to remove (compared to iron staining or calcium carbonate scale) and will happen when the copper level rises and/or the pH rises (when copper is present). You most definitely want to avoid adding copper to your pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all. I have ordered the regular TCCA 90% Tabs.