Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool scum

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool scum

It's been a good year so far for our pool keeping the water crystal clear has been easy thanks to all the help from folks on this site. A few days ago we were visited from an old nemesis a slight amount of a scum on the surface of the pool. We had this last year and never got rid of it until this spring after we reopened our pool. It very hard to get a picture of but it looks like it could be a build up of sunscreen. It won't suck into the filter because it just floats on the surface after 2 min of swimming our turning our fountain on it's gone never to appear until the next morning when we retract our cover and there it is again. Not sure what to do we bought some scum balls and it sucks some up but not all. The water is crystal clear other then the light scum ,it also only covers about a 1/3 of the pool kind of like a small oil slick . Any thoughts our help ?

As an after thought we have scrubbed our cover with water and a small amount of bleach but this didn't work.

FC 5
    CC.5
    CYA 60/70
    TA 210
    PH 7.6
    Salt 3100 ppm
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool scum

There are several options:

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Perhaps running the pump a tad bit more and boosting the chlorine a bit higher to allow the filter to work on it? Or adding a bit of DE to your sand filter? How about banning all those sunscreen products for a week or so and see if that makes any difference?

That's all I got.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys,
    I'm going to bump my FC up for a few days and let it sit and see. Is it possible to get rid of something like this without doing a full SLAM. I'm thinking maybe bring my FC up to 10 and hold it for a few days. I have some of the pool perfect enzyme is that maybe the better way to go?
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It depends on what it is but something like the "Scum balls" or "Pig Mat" or in my case "Scum bugs" might be much cheaper, easier and effective rather than doing a SLAM.
    With something like the scum bugs the prices vary quite a bit and make sure you know if you are paying for one as in each or one pair.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3i722gq3i6_e
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help guys, I raised my FC for a few days and pointed my returns up towards the surface at night to get some water circulation on the bottom of the cover,also added about 4 scum balls and this did the trick no more scum. Thanks as always love this site!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It's always nice when it's a simple solution. Ok, back to swimming
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!