I have a Pentair Chlorinator, how do I un loosen it to clean it?

If the cell is held in place by unions, I would suggest using two pairs of large capacity Tongue & Groove type pliers. If you do both union nuts at the same time, then the rotation opposes each other and the cell is less likely to twist.

Note: Be very careful not to use too much force or the union nuts will break.

James W - those are called "channel lock" pliers, commonly with blue handles. A good choice if you can find one big enough to fit...never seen one big enough to fit my own unions, but would work great if he can get an appropriate size set.

Careful though, as they can easily tear through PVC if they don't have good strong points of contact. Won't cause functional damage in most cases, but can leave clear evidence of your fight.

Edit - I have destroyed a unions with channel locks before on a friend's pool...where they did fit...sheared right through the PVC...so be careful if channel locks are your weapon of choice.

ChannelLock is a company known for their Tongue & Groove type pliers. The name has become synonymous with that type of pliers, similar to how Kleenex is synonymous with tissue.

In any case, they will usually work as long as you're careful to use too much clamping force, or torque.

The downsides are that they can be an expensive investment if you don't otherwise have other uses for them, and they can cause damage if used improperly.

It would probably be best to try other methods first before resorting to ChannelLock type pliers.

I have screwed fittings on either side of my IC-40. They have some raised ridges throughout, and I can just use a flat screwdriver leaning against a ridge and then tap it with a rubber mallet or hammer to get it started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.