Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a Pentair Chlorinator, how do I un loosen it to clean it?

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a Pentair Chlorinator, how do I un loosen it to clean it?

I was advised by the CSR to uncouple the Chlorinator for the salt water system, and then use Muriatic acid to clean it. I'm having a heck of a time loosening it to remove it. Yes, I turned off the pump first.

Thanks.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a Pentair Chlorinator, how do I un loosen it to clean it?

Do you have a strap wrench? That's the only way I get some of my plumbing unscrewed. Craftsman/Sears or Amazon.

Get the large one with the rubber strap. The small metal ones with the canvas style strap are for iron pipe.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

If the cell is held in place by unions, I would suggest using two pairs of large capacity Tongue & Groove type pliers. If you do both union nuts at the same time, then the rotation opposes each other and the cell is less likely to twist.

Note: Be very careful not to use too much force or the union nuts will break.

4. Back To Top    #4

James W - those are called "channel lock" pliers, commonly with blue handles. A good choice if you can find one big enough to fit...never seen one big enough to fit my own unions, but would work great if he can get an appropriate size set.

Careful though, as they can easily tear through PVC if they don't have good strong points of contact. Won't cause functional damage in most cases, but can leave clear evidence of your fight.

Edit - I have destroyed a unions with channel locks before on a friend's pool...where they did fit...sheared right through the PVC...so be careful if channel locks are your weapon of choice.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

ChannelLock is a company known for their Tongue & Groove type pliers. The name has become synonymous with that type of pliers, similar to how Kleenex is synonymous with tissue.

In any case, they will usually work as long as you're careful to use too much clamping force, or torque.

The downsides are that they can be an expensive investment if you don't otherwise have other uses for them, and they can cause damage if used improperly.

It would probably be best to try other methods first before resorting to ChannelLock type pliers.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have screwed fittings on either side of my IC-40. They have some raised ridges throughout, and I can just use a flat screwdriver leaning against a ridge and then tap it with a rubber mallet or hammer to get it started.
    18K gal, Gunite, 17' x 32', Blue Granite PS, MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8, Intellibrite LED lights in pool and spa, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kwnewbie View Post
    I have screwed fittings on either side of my IC-40. They have some raised ridges throughout, and I can just use a flat screwdriver leaning against a ridge and then tap it with a rubber mallet or hammer to get it started.
    I think that that would be likely to damage the nut.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the recommendations. I successfully removed and cleaned it.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)