Remote VS drive electronics?

Aug 4, 2014
Anaheim California
While researching VS pool pumps, i have found quite a few references to problems with the drive electronics, to the point where some folks reject VS because the electronics fail due to vibration and cannot be repaired.

To me the solution is obvious - remove the drive electronics from the pump, put it on a wall nearby, and replace the 6 inch cable to the motor with a 6 foot cable or conduit.

I am a complete newbie, so please tell me what is wrong with this idea - 'cause i suspect it would have been done if it worked.

I do not know a lot about variable frequency drives and motors, but i work among a lot of them, and in no case is the drive electronics mounted on the motor housing.

Just and idea . . .

From what I read online, trying to control low speed of a standard capacitor start motor isn't fruitful. The inexpensive capacitor start motors aren't intended to operate at low speeds. The capacitor is generally engaged for just a second at startup. If it's kept engaged for longer periods, things tend to get hot and burn up. Not to say you couldn't get a motor and controller that would work, but you may be on the wrong side of the price curve at that point. I'd love to hear if you make any headway though. Keep us informed!

Edit: Century has a series of "Corona Free Speed Engineered" motors that are listed in their pool motor catalog and are intended to be used with Variable Speed Drive controllers. Not sure how they price compare.

Your idea is very valid. It's not only the vibration that kills the drives, it's also the EMF field around the motor. Hayward (and maybe others) allow you to wall mount the controller portion of the drive. However they weren't generous enough to allow the entire drive to be remote mounted.

I think you'll probably see the entire drive units be remote mounted in the future as more and more people shy away from the motor mounted units because of failure issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.