Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Forum CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Forum CYA question

Hello,
    I wanted to start by thanking folks who have put so much useful information for novices on this website. This sit might have helped me keep my sanity too. 3 weeks ago I had algae in the pool with zero ability to raise Cl using shock or the tabs. However some elbow grease (repeated cleaning of the cartridges) and following BBB including shocking with bleach I seem to have a very clean pool.

I have a question regarding the water chemistry. Measurement done using Taylor K2006 test kits.

FC: 5ppm
    CC <0.5ppm.
    ph: 7.4 (lower than 7.6)
    CYA: 120 using dilution method. Thanks pool stores !!!
    TA: 90 (<100).
    Pool Pressure OK (cleaned it 5 days ago).
    Scrub pool every day.
    Pool Volume @18000 gallons. I will do the testing for others chemicals tomorrow.

The pool looks very clean. I have no algae or cloudiness-the concern I have is with the CYA so high and both FC and CC holding up-do I need to worry about water sanitation? I add 2 cups of bleach in the morning and evening to maintain the Cl levels. I am little concerned about raising the Cl higher as I have young boys who are learning to swim and may/do ingest little water.

I recently switched to BBB-promised to myself that I will never go to Leslie's pool.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Amit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Forum CYA question

Welcome to TFP!

You need to maintain a higher FC level due to the CYA level to keep the pool safe. You should be keeping it above 8ppm at all times ... it is perfectly safe and lower active chlorine levels than you would find in an unstabilized public pool.

Remember the pH test reads higher than reality when the FC is greater than 10ppm. This is one problem with keeping the CYA too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. Will do so.

Per the pool calculator- I need to add 96 oz of 8.25% bleach to increase the FC from 5ppm to target of 8ppm (minimum). I will then do the FC loss test during the course of the day and also overnight. Hopefully this will provide me with the correct amount of chlorine to add everyday.

BTW do I need to shock my pool again if I am able to maintain FC to 8ppm MIN?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

You need to maintain a higher FC level due to the CYA level to keep the pool safe. You should be keeping it above 8ppm at all times ... it is perfectly safe and lower active chlorine levels than you would find in an unstabilized public pool.

Remember the pH test reads higher than reality when the FC is greater than 10ppm. This is one problem with keeping the CYA too high.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by akaistha View Post
    Thanks Jason. Will do so.

Per the pool calculator- I need to add 96 oz of 8.25% bleach to increase the FC from 5ppm to target of 8ppm (minimum). I will then do the FC loss test during the course of the day and also overnight. Hopefully this will provide me with the correct amount of chlorine to add everyday.

BTW do I need to shock my pool again if I am able to maintain FC to 8ppm MIN?
    If you pass the overnight loss test, you don't need to SLAM again. Poolmath says your target should be about 12, and the minimum FC is 9. So if you raise it to 12 and retest it at roughly the same time tomorrow and it's above 9 , 12 is your target. If it comes up at 8 or 8.5, target 13. You'll know soon enough what the pool's appetite is.

One caution: when FC is above 10, the pH test starts reading strange and you can't trust it. If you have the ability - water rationing or whatever - you would do well to lower the CYA. You won't really use more or less bleach every day either way, but it's really nice to be able to trust the pH readings. It doesn't have to be all at once; you can drain out a few inches at a time to water the lawn. If you close the pool for the winter and drain down, just deal with it then.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If you pass the overnight loss test, you don't need to SLAM again. Poolmath says your target should be about 12, and the minimum FC is 9. So if you raise it to 12 and retest it at roughly the same time tomorrow and it's above 9 , 12 is your target. If it comes up at 8 or 8.5, target 13. You'll know soon enough what the pool's appetite is.

One caution: when FC is above 10, the pH test starts reading strange and you can't trust it. If you have the ability - water rationing or whatever - you would do well to lower the CYA. You won't really use more or less bleach every day either way, but it's really nice to be able to trust the pH readings. It doesn't have to be all at once; you can drain out a few inches at a time to water the lawn. If you close the pool for the winter and drain down, just deal with it then.
    Thanks Richard- overnight FC drop was about 2.5ppm. I had tested at 5ppm at about 7:00 PM and retested to 2.5ppm today AM. I have added more bleach to increase the FC to 7 ppm and will see how much FC is lost during the day.
    Location: Dallas/TX, 18000 gallons IG pool, Cartridge type pool filter, Hayward XL pool vac

6. Back To Top    #6

You failed the OCLT. Are you gong to start the SLAM process? Your FC is much too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You failed the OCLT. Are you gong to start the SLAM process? Your FC is much too low.
    Yes Jason. Tonight I will start the SLAM process. Based on the numbers from pool calculator and the CYA/FC relationship I will add 850oz to get to 39ppm shock value assuming a start FC of 7ppm. I will let it run overnight and then do the OCLT test. I will then maintain the FC to 12-13ppm range. I understand that the best way forward will be to get CYA down via pool drain but I am planning to do that during the winters (will also convert the pool to salt water...). I will post the results here.
    Location: Dallas/TX, 18000 gallons IG pool, Cartridge type pool filter, Hayward XL pool vac

8. Back To Top    #8

Given you need to replace a little less than 9000 gallons of water, I highly suggest you do this first. If you can get in the 70-80 range, you will be a lot better off for the SLAM process, and it will put you in the proper range for your salt system.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like you're planning to end your slam prematurely. To end the slam you need to pass all three criteria.
    1. Pass the OCLT < 1ppm fc loss overnight.
    2. Less than .5ppm CC test
    3. clear water with no visible algae
    If you don't, you must I keep your FC up to shock level.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Given you need to replace a little less than 9000 gallons of water, I highly suggest you do this first. If you can get in the 70-80 range, you will be a lot better off for the SLAM process, and it will put you in the proper range for your salt system.
    Sound advice for sure! It would save you money in the long run.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997