Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation

So I'm going to be going away for vacation in two weeks. I'll be gone for about a week. I have terrible anxiety over leaving my crystal clear pool as I'm afraid I'm going to come back to a swamp. I plan on overfilling my pool a bit and setting the timer on my pump to kick on each day and turn my water over (I'm overfilling so that the water level won't drop too low due to evaporation). Now, my CYA was at 40 last week when I checked it. Being that its getting toward the end of the summer and I'm going to be closing the pool a month or so after I get back from vacation, I'm wondering if I should just try to chlorinate while I'm gone with some pucks in a floater (being that if my CYA jumps a bit, I'll be draining some water out at closing anyway) or if I should trust my neighbor with the task of adding some bleach while I'm gone. My neighbor has no experience with a pool, but I'm thinking, given my daily bleach additions, I could probably just give him two gallons of bleach and have him add a gallon on Tuesday night and the second gallon on Thursday night.

Does anyone else get this much anxiety over leaving their pool? LOL
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation

Your plan sounds fine. Many members use tablets while on vacation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Haha. I totally understand. If you trust that your neighbor will do it, I'd go with that route. Motivate them with promises of beer, wine or whatever suits their fancy. I'd even have them come over one day before you go and show them how you add it.

If you're not confident in them following through, I'd go with bringing it up to shock level or just below and then adding some pucks to a floater. Winter/opaque cover would also be great if you have one to block out sun.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm pretty sure he will add the bleach in return for being able to swim in it while I'm gone. Lol. I guess I can also leave my floating cooler in the pool for him.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath