Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water is cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water is cloudy

Hi everyone,

So if by chance you're one of the nice people that have been helping me after my stupid mistake (in short, i accidentally put a ton of CYA in my pool and had to drain it almost entirely), i have successfully filled my pool back up after 2 weeks of slowly doing it through our well. In that time it eventually turned a nice shade of green and yesterday I shocked it. My levels are as follows:

FC : 3ppm
    CC : 0ppm
    PH : 7.4
    AK : 70ppm
    CH : 10ppm
    CYA : 30ppm
    ---------------
    using a Taylor K-2006 test kit

What has me stumped is the cloudiness of the water. I had mentioned before that my sand filter probably needs new sand but I believe the concensus was that had nothing to do with it and was most likely my high levels of CYA (which made total sense). Is there anything else I can try here to solve the cloudiness ?

History So Far
    ----------------
    1. 7/15/2014 : Discovered I had put in approximately 150ppm of CYA into pool.
    2. 7/16/2014 : Drained more than 2/3 of the pool
    3. 7/18/2014 : Began filling the pool back up to get it below 50ppm CYA.
    4. 8/3/2014 : Pool level back up to skimmer and is a nice shade of green. Shocked it overnight.
    5. 8/4/2014 : Came home from work and pool was blue and measured at what I reported above.

So now that i'm at 3ppm for Chlorine, i assume I'd have to verify that it holds overnight or doesn't drop more than a few ppm. Am i being too impatient here to expect the cloudiness to be gone with these levels ? Should I shock it one more night here at the recommended 16ppm and hope that it holds within a few ppm overnight ? At a bit of a loss. Thanks guys,

Scott
    Last edited by sbelgrave; 08-04-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling and 1 of the dates was wrong.
    sbelgrave @ Westminster, MD
    Size : 16 x 32 x 4
    Volume : 12,000 Gallons
    Material :Vinyl
    Water Type : Non-Saltwater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water is cloudy

You should not "shock" the pool. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

check your CH level i had this issue last week i brought it up to 260 level CH and ran pump 48 hours straight brushed pool everyday and water began to clear up u must be short on Calcium Chloride CH
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rezasaba View Post
    check your CH level i had this issue last week i brought it up to 260 level CH and ran pump 48 hours straight brushed pool everyday and water began to clear up u must be short on Calcium Chloride CH
    There is no point in adding CH to a vinyl pool. And even if you did, that would have nothing to do with the water clearing up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

You should follow the SLAM process as mentioned by Jason.

There is no need to replace the sand. Be sure to backwash/rinse when the pressure rises 25% above clean filter psi.

Also, if you have not done a deep cleaning on the sand filter recently, that is recommended. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

Once you pass the OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt
    .............you can add some DE to the filter to speed up clearing the pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~