Tips on warming the pool?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
This has been a very cool summer for the midwest. Usually we get a few weeks of upper 90s, and even 100s. This year we have had a few sporadic days spread out in the low 90s and most of them have been in the mid 80s. Anyhow we have a solar cover, but it doesn't seem to do much, maybe I am wrong but are they suppose to help trap heat in the pool, or produce heat from the sun? (or even both) I have left it on several days and I have not noticed much improvement.

Secondly does running the pump 24/7 help or hurt heating? I am thinking moving the water underground is keeping it cooler?

Its freezing, and we have not been able to use it much this season. We have considered a heating system, but I hear they cost a ton and need several days to improve it. One question on that, do they work when cooler weather hits still? Could you extend the pool usage into say days that are 60s-70s?

Thanks!

the Term "solar cover" is a misnomer. It doesn't utilize the suns rays to heat the water. It prevents evaporation....and thus the heat loss from evaporation.

As long as your circulation isn't aerating the water I don't see that causing much difference in water temps.

on heaters. gas is the way to go. I can heat my pool 5-6 deg in a day without any problems. (maybe more I haven't tried...or timed it)

Gas heaters can extend the pool season dramatically and heat fairly quickly but they cost a huge amount of money to run. Solar is sensitive to cloudy days, but costs less than any other kind of heat. In most areas (i.e. electricity not too expensive) a heat pump is the most effective way to maintain temperature 24/7, while gas is better for "event" heating (the one pretty weekend in the fall for example). Solar is the only choice for people on a budget.

A solar cover can get you 5 degrees if used consistently over an extended period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.