Do I need extra skimmers and return lines?

Aug 4, 2014
Allen, TX
I just bought an inground pool, kidney shaped, I would post a link to it but not sure if it is allowed. Anyway, it is 28' x 16' and 4' deep. It has one skimmer, and one return line. I was wondering if that is enough for this pool. This pool is about 350 sqft, and I've read that one skimmer is per 500 sqft is enough. Not sure if one return line is enough, and/or if I would benefit from one or two extra return lines. There is no main drain also.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Of course pictures are allowed ... we love to see them :D

One skimmer should be plenty, although only having one return line is pretty limited. A couple more could improve the circulation, although I am not sure it would be worth the substantial financial cost to add them.

Oh, cost would not be an issue, since I am doing work myself. I just need to cut the wall opening for a new return line inlet. To clarify, this is an above ground/ inground pool. Where would I position second one, since the first one is close to the skimmer. Would I place it on the other end of the pool and at what height? Same height as the other one?

Other end diagonally same height unless you know of a way to get your water level at an incline ;). Wouldn't hurt to have another return line pointed in the direction of the skimmer. I have 4 return lines and 2 skimmers. Only 1 return line is on the same side of the pool as the skimmer and that's for my cleaner connection. The other 3 are 2 in the shallow end and one in the deep end.

Last edited:
Well, technically you didn't clarify. You said it is above ground and in ground at the same time.

Since I am new to forum, and I don't want to mention manufactures names so as not to appear as if I am promoting them, I was kinda unclear. This pool can be installed above ground and in ground also. It has a liner. The pool has aluminium walls, two inch thick, and there is a insulation sandwiched in between the walls of the pool wall section. So, I would just need to do a round cut through the aluminum, and buy one more outlet(s) for return lines. But if it is not going to give me much benefit, I would rather not mess with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Other end diagonally same height unless you know of a way to get your water level at an incline ;). Wouldn't hurt to have another return line pointed in the direction of the skimmer. I have 4 return lines and 2 skimmers. Only 1 return line is on the same side of the pool as the skimmer and that's for my cleaner connection. The other 3 are 2 in the shadow end and one in the deep end.

Haha, I was asking about return line, but good joke anyway. Made me laugh.

Well, then the advice still holds lol. But rereading post 4, since you're doing the work yourself. You might consider a third return line across from the one skimmer as well. That should keep the water moving in a clockwise direction. Oh, and what's it going to be? IG OR AG?

Well, as soon as I read in ground in the first post, I immediately thought gunite pool, having to dig, drill holes, replaster to seal, etc.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Add a picture of the setup and it might be easier to recommend jet locations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.