Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ability to quickly disconnect my pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Ability to quickly disconnect my pool pump

My pool pump is on the brink and just hums when I start it, if it's not the start capacitor (on order), I'm going to just order an entire new pump.

Looking at how this pump was installed, I'm going to have to cut pipe to get it out, the installer didn't use anything that would let me quickly disconnect the pump. What is the preferred way to install a pool pump that allows for easy swap in the future. I was looking at "unions" and think that would work, but was wondering if there is another way?.

Thanks!
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Ability to quickly disconnect my pool pump

I would think most PBs would plumb a pump with a straight hard line as you have. Pumps should last a long time, so putting a quick-disconnect union in would probably invite more problems than it's worth (suction side air leaks, etc).

My opinion would be to hard plumb any new pump you get as you currently have it which means cutting pipe and using a coupler to connect the two pipe ends together with a solid PVC weld joint. I guess you could add a screw-on type coupler but you have to weigh the risk of having an additional o-ring seal there that could potentially leak....

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ability to quickly disconnect my pool pump

Some pumps come with unions to use to connect the plumbing (like the Superflo). Or you can just add your own unions.

But, if the wet end is ok, it is much easier to just replace the bad motor. Just the motor is cheaper and I would suggest you consider upgrading to a 2-speed motor or pump for the electrical savings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the ideas, I was looking at just replacing the motor but didn't seem as cost effective as just buying a slightly used pump. By the time you buy a new motor/seals/etc. you're around the same price as a used pump.

I prefer using unions as being a diy'er, it would be nice to detach the pump to work on it should I ever need to, it's been rather a pain to get to the capacitor as the back of the pump is only a few inches from the side of my house.
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

5. Back To Top    #5

But, it is a used pump. Someone could have destroyed it in a matter of a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Look at getting a remaufactured motor if you're looking to save a few bucks, they test the windings, new bearing and paint. Motors usually die because of the bearing going bad, increasing resistance, which in turn, produce more heat, that destroy the windings. Replacing the motor is usually cheaper and easier than the whole pump. You normally get 1yr on the motor.
    Not affiliated with any of these:
    http://www.poolmotorexchange.com/
    http://poolmotorcorp.com/
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/

Hope it helps.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I hear what you're saying about just replacing the motor, other than new seals, should I also replace the impeller/diffuser? How long should the water side of the pump really last?

8. Back To Top    #8

Impeller/diffuser only need to be changed if you're dropping the HP. Wet ends should last a very long time.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Wet ends will be good as long as they are not warped or cracked.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the help, I think I'm definitely going to just replace the motor now when it comes time.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just re plumbed my fathers AGP. Used unions for all hose connections. Did away with clamps and barbs.

And yes, the motor cover is off to replace the cord.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407815234.540250.jpg
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

While you have the pump off the line, now would be a good time to look at re-locating or re-aligning the pump to reduce/eliminate the physical clearance problem.

The problem with manufacturer's unions is that they are proprietary, and you can't mix them - a pipe with a Hayward union is worthless if you want to install a Pentair pump - it's back to the hacksaw and splicing in a chunk with a Pentair union.

I have unions on both sides of both the pump and filter. I used an out of adjustment electronic level for the suction line (I was down to the last 3" above ground - a solid install could make a mess for the next install) and the level was off by 8 degrees. I solved the problem by grinding down the end of the pipe to form a taper - and quickly applied solvent, rammed the pipe into the (installed) union and using a good level, got it plumb.

Aside from that foul-up, I have had no problems with unions.

Yes, they introduce another point of failure, but eliminate the situation of one connector after another until there is no more pipe to connect.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.