White flakes

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I'm really tired of seeing a plume of white flakes come into my pool periodically. I realize that this is from the swg changing polarity to keep itself clean. My pool test numbers as of yesterday were: 8fc, 0cc, 8tc, 7.5ph, 90ta, 430ch, 50cya, 87deg, 2900 salt. I know the cya is a little low for the swg, I don't think that would cause more flakes. My ic40 is set at 60% right now, and the filter runs 8 hrs per day. I thought that the flakes were more frequent since I hadn't cleaned it in a while so last week I did, there was some calcium buildup, it was all removed. The next day here come more flakes! Do you have the same problems? It's really annoying to see this "polluting" my clear water, plus I need to explain to people what it is. The cleaner picks it up pretty good at least. If we get any rain this year I'm going to pump off my cover to lower the ch hopefully. Any other ideas?

Try reducing the TA to 60/70 and don't let the pH above 7.5 and see how that works. You are near 0 on the CSI and running a little negative should help.

So as long as the csi is above -.6 I don't need to worry about plaster erosion? It looks like if my ta is lowered to 70 and the ph to 7.0 my csi would be -.66, if the ph is 7.2 it would be -.44. I guess more cya might help if that allowed me to turn the % down on the swg, seems like that may lower the rate of calcium deposit?

Adding CYA might help, but I wouldn't think it is going to make a huge difference. I would shoot for a pH of 7.2, not 7.0. It'll continually float up since you have a SWG. Borates can help with this too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.