Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes

1. Back To Top    #1

White flakes

I'm really tired of seeing a plume of white flakes come into my pool periodically. I realize that this is from the swg changing polarity to keep itself clean. My pool test numbers as of yesterday were: 8fc, 0cc, 8tc, 7.5ph, 90ta, 430ch, 50cya, 87deg, 2900 salt. I know the cya is a little low for the swg, I don't think that would cause more flakes. My ic40 is set at 60% right now, and the filter runs 8 hrs per day. I thought that the flakes were more frequent since I hadn't cleaned it in a while so last week I did, there was some calcium buildup, it was all removed. The next day here come more flakes! Do you have the same problems? It's really annoying to see this "polluting" my clear water, plus I need to explain to people what it is. The cleaner picks it up pretty good at least. If we get any rain this year I'm going to pump off my cover to lower the ch hopefully. Any other ideas?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White flakes

Try reducing the TA to 60/70 and don't let the pH above 7.5 and see how that works. You are near 0 on the CSI and running a little negative should help.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

What Ping said. And with the CH in the 400s, you'll have to watch it kind of carefully. I found borates helped me with this issue, but get your TA down to 70 before adding them.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Try reducing the TA to 60/70 and don't let the pH above 7.5 and see how that works. You are near 0 on the CSI and running a little negative should help.
    So as long as the csi is above -.6 I don't need to worry about plaster erosion? It looks like if my ta is lowered to 70 and the ph to 7.0 my csi would be -.66, if the ph is 7.2 it would be -.44. I guess more cya might help if that allowed me to turn the % down on the swg, seems like that may lower the rate of calcium deposit?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding CYA might help, but I wouldn't think it is going to make a huge difference. I would shoot for a pH of 7.2, not 7.0. It'll continually float up since you have a SWG. Borates can help with this too.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!