Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy wireless OneTouch problem "Water temperature short"

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy wireless OneTouch problem "Water temperature short"

On my wireless control I have the "Water Temperature Short" error. I have both swapped the air and water temperature leads and problem did not go away (air temp reads correct) and have check ohms on sensor which read good. Additionally, my LAARS will not heat the pool unless I take it offline (from RS control) and manually start it. Any ideas?
    Pool/Spa details: ~24k gal spa (~1k gal) in pool. Jandy APure1400 salt system, RS with wireless OneTouch. Hardware: 1.5 JHP pump head with ECOTech VS motor, 2.0 JHP spa, Polaris booster cleaner PB4-60 pumps. Filter is a Jandy CL 460, with a LAARS LX gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy wireless OneTouch problem "Water temperature short"

Sometimes the board can be damaged requiring repair or replacement.

3. Back To Top    #3

Normally that error means there is a piece of wire shorting across the two terminals where the temperature sensor connects, or there is short in the temperature sensor cable, or the sensor has gone bad. As az1324 mentioned, it can also mean a bad main board in the automation system. Try removing the sensor wires from their terminals and see if the error message changes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The way your heater is acting is correct if either the sensor or the sensor portion of the board are bad. What is the part number for the sensor you purchased? What color are the wires inside the cable, red/white, on the original one?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all!

I am hoping it is not the board as I don't want to shell out another $600. I briefly checked the back of the board for any conduction path (short) but didn't notice anything. I have not replaced the temp sensor yet (I do have a new one), just swapped the air temp sensor wires with the water temp wires. When I did this it still showed the Water Temperature Short and the air temp read off the pool temp. How would I go about testing the board (any links to a troubleshooting guide)?
    Pool/Spa details: ~24k gal spa (~1k gal) in pool. Jandy APure1400 salt system, RS with wireless OneTouch. Hardware: 1.5 JHP pump head with ECOTech VS motor, 2.0 JHP spa, Polaris booster cleaner PB4-60 pumps. Filter is a Jandy CL 460, with a LAARS LX gas heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you swapped the air for the water and it still said Water Temp Shorted, then it's the board. I don't know how you would test the board. When you go to purchase one, find a company that will do a refund at no cost in case you do have to return it. However, it does look like a board issue.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks mate! What I feared was the problem. I will look into some options for repair.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Remove the temp sensor buss from the board and see if problem persists. Remove the entire buss, not just remove the wires from it.
    Also, have you tried clearing the memory?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the input Pool Clown. I have not tried this as of yet but will either tonight or this weekend to see. I have not reset the memory (is this the reset button on the board, top left?).

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Reset is done through the software (panel in house). MENU/HELP / SYSTEM SETUP / CLEAR MEMORY. Then follow on screen directions. Note: Make note of your settings, labels, programs, etc. Clearing memory resets your unit to the same state as when it came out of the box.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Mate! Will do tonight (hopefully

12. Back To Top    #12

Reset both wireless onetouch and RS8, took out temp wires and reinstalled and it works. Thanks all!