Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my CYA Test good if it was cloudy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my CYA Test good if it was cloudy?

I've been bringing my CYA down from 150+ this year. Did a half drain and refill. Started at 90. 2 weeks ago around 80. Tested yesterday at 2:00 pm and got 70. But this time it was cloudy, no shadows. Is the test still good? It rained the past two nights before.

Here are my numbers:

FC 8.5
    CC 0.5 up yesterday
    PH 7.8 creeping up, has held @ 7.5 for long time.
    TA 100 down from 110
    CH 125 steady
    CYA 70
    Temp 78

Still going by CYA 80 numbers for bleach.

Also: I have not had to backwash for filter pressure in about 3 weeks. I just got the pressure gauge from TFT and it was only reading 13 PSI (previous had 14) now 14 PSI. Is this normal to go so long with out having to backwash. The water is crystal clear and when I turn on the light at night I don't see much of anything floating in the water like in the past. Thank you all for such a great site.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my CYA Test good if it was cloudy?

Welcome to TFP!!!

The lighting is pretty important with the CYA test, so I am not sure how accurate the 70ppm reading was if it was cloudy out ... I think it might read a little higher than if it was sunny out.

If you keep algae out of the pool and have an oversized filter (yours is a good size), many members can go the entire season without backwashing. Just wait until the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure (about 16psi for you) and then backwash.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, so I finally had a chance to run the CYA test Sunday midday (4:20 pm?) was running around earlier. I got a reading of 60-70. I also ran the test on Wednesday after work around 6pm. It was very sunny and w/ back to sun I got 70 also. The side of the house is a light yellow and moved closer to the wall to see if the sunlight reflecting off the siding would affect the reading and it did not.

So is the position of the sun high in the sky and the ambient light critical to the test?
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure position of the sun is important per se, Taylor just says bright, indirect sunlight.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    I'm not sure position of the sun is important per se, Taylor just says bright, indirect sunlight.
    Bright and indirect.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Cool, thanks guys.