Toledo - microcystin toxin - phosphorus - pools for emergency water

Jun 20, 2012
My pool water is part of my plan for emergency water. Due to the Microcystin toxin situation in Toledo I have a question about phosphorus.

I have been told to not worry about phosphorus in my pool because if I keep my FC level properly maintained there won't be any algae to feed on the phosphorus.

But if my power goes down my chlorine pump and pool pump will go down (and even if could add bleach manually I doubt I could stir it manually and I'd run out of chlorine after not too long anyway) so it seems like a good idea to get the phosphorus levels down to prepare for a grid down event.

So is that a good idea? And even if I get the phosphorus levels down would I still end up with algae and thus microcystin?

And if power goes down I assume I should cover the pool. What are ways to do that? Are there dark tarps? I've only seen ones that are quite translucent.

And what kind of filtering system should I buy in order to neutralize the toxins?

I think your big concern with pool water if you are planning to drink it is the cyanuric acid. Probably the only way to get rid of that is with a reverse osmosis system, and even then I'd want to verify that the filter gets it to a safe level.

Please search the forum ... there are many threads discussing drinking pool water ... generally not recommended and a very last resort.

You can use any big tarp to cover the pool if you wish. You can also continue to maintain the FC levels and use your brush to mix it in (the wall whale moves a LOT of water).

I remember reading through the threads before:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...in-emergencies
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...gency-drinking
http://www.troublefreepool.com/using...cy-t39087.html

CYA was a concern but considered a minor one considering why you'd be drinking pool water in the first place. Borates and salt were also mentioned as a concern and that an RO unit would be a good idea to take care of CYA, Borates, and salt.

Some folks had posited that a Big Berkey filter would be a solution but I didn't see any good confirmations of that.

Coming up with an RO solution is on my todo list.

But I still have these questions:
- Are the algae toxin byproducts a concern in a pool algae bloom situation?
- What means are effective in neutralizing the toxins?
- Should phosphates be neutralized "just in case"?

I answered your question in the other thread. Note that microcystin comes from blue-green algae which is technically a bacteria, and not from green algae. It is unlikely for this toxin to become present in your pool even if algae grows -- it's not impossible, but unlikely. You could also ask Berkey about whether microcystin and other toxins are removed/reduced by their filter.

As for preventing algae growth, if the pool water is to be used for drinking, say filtering through a Berkey filter, then yes using a phosphate remover is one way to prevent algae growth when there is no chlorine in the water. Of everything in the water, the biggest concern for using it for drinking would be the borates so you should ask Berkey if boric acid is removed by their filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.