when to add chlorine when filling pool?

KarenT

Jul 20, 2014
Hagerstown MD
Just got a new liner for our pool and set it up yesterday. Currently have about a foot of water in and adding. At what point should I start adding bleach? We are on city water so there is a small amount of chlorine in it. I have ordered one of the test kits recommended here but it won't be here for a few more days. I still have our old kit which measures FC and pH I think. In the past we used the chlorine tabs but I want to do it the TFPC way now!

I've looked through Pool School and made copies of the desired levels, etc. Should I just plug in my numbers in the calculator and get the bleach, then add as it fills, or better to wait until full and test?

Thanks.

Figure out how much cya you want and put that in a sock in front of your return. Then add the appropriate amount of.bleach according to your cya. If it is very hot or you swim then I usually add at least half the amount of bleach if not more each night until your test kit comes in.

For each year I put up the pool in the summer, this is what I go through. When I first fill my 18 x 52 Intex pool the water has a tinge of green to it (just the way the city water is). I put in a package of shock it and the next day the tinge of green is gone but also all the chlorine. Water just ate it up. I then put in one more pack of shock it all is good from there. For the rest of the summer having a floater in the pool keeping two 3" tablets of chlorine in it maintains the right chlorine level. Took me 3 seasons to get that procedure down pat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.