Deep Cleaning Filter ?

Lyn

Jul 25, 2014
Singapore
The pressure in my sand filter has gone up, partly because I've SLAM-ed my pool and added too much DE over the weekend. I'm curious to try to deep clean the sand filter, cos now with the low pressure, the spa (attached to the main pool and overflows into it) doesn't fill up as return pressure is too low, and rate of filtration for the pool is much slower. Before I embark on this project, I have a few questions:

1) I have an Aster 99 sand filter (with side mounted flow pipes). Does anyone have experience deep cleaning this model? I've mainly seen Hayward top mounted sand filters used in deep cleaning demos. Not sure if the side mounted pipes play a part.

2) I've misplaced the users manual, so I'm not sure if opening the filter simply mean just unscrewing the top after turning it off, or do I need to release the pressure or do something else before opening it. Likewise, I also won't know if the amount of sand I have in the filter is adequate. I'm guessing I'll need to get the user's manual from the pool shop or find it online somewhere.

3) Do I need to drain the water from the filter via the port at the bottom for the deep clean, or is that just for when I change the sand?

Appreciate any advice :) and thanks heaps in advance!

With the pump off there isn't any pressure in the filter. If anything it's a vacuum as the water in the filter and the pipes wants to drain back to the pool. When you open the system don't be surprised to hear it sucking air to bleed that water back to the pool. BEFORE you start to deep clean the filter make sure you shut the multiport valve so water can not flow back into the pool. You DO NOT want that crud you're flushing out of the sand finding it's way back to your pool !!

Looks like you would need to unscrew the top. I can't find info on a Mod. 99 20" only a 24" and bigger. Not sure if yours is going to be the same but this one shows the top http://www.astralpoolusa.com/sites/...dfs/Aster Sand Filter - Product Details_0.pdf

This again isn't a Mod. 99 but hopefully is a similar design and gives you an idea of the inside. http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-59...r-replacement-parts-spa-parts-pool-parts.aspx

If it's similar and you unscrew it be careful that there is a gasket on the bottom part that seals it. Someone complained theirs leaked like crazy from the top after taking it apart and then reassembling it and that they had dropped the gasket off while taking it off so they didn't know it was supposed to be there.

I have an older Hayward that separates in half and my valve is from the side. When you are feeding the hose in you'll feel sand and at one point you will feel hitting the pipe from the multiport valve and you just move over an inch or two and then continue on around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.