Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I have a bomb?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I have a bomb?

Hi all, I have a cheap summer pool with a chlorine generator. I covered it with plastic while I went out of town for the weekend, (we were expecting rain) I'm back and realizing that I may have produced enough hydrogen under my plastic to be a serious problem. Do I have a problem? Should I call the fire department?
    Thanks, holding my breath, Kevin.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I have a bomb?

Welcome to the forum!

Why would you think that would be the case? If anything it would be nitrogen that would build up, but it would have to be a pretty dirty pool. I leave my solar cover on all the time when we're not swimming, and when on vacation, up to seven days at a time. I wouldn't worry about it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Kdix View Post
    Hi all, I have a cheap summer pool with a chlorine generator. I covered it with plastic while I went out of town for the weekend, (we were expecting rain) I'm back and realizing that I may have produced enough hydrogen under my plastic to be a serious problem. Do I have a problem? Should I call the fire department?
    Thanks, holding my breath, Kevin.
    Need more info, but do you have something like a Uniclor chlorine generator that you covered with plastic? If so, just turn it off, and wait a while, longer to be safer, but do not cover it in the future! It's designed to be out in the weather, and it does release hydrogen gas, so the vents on the top must not be obstructed. I doubt you have a "bomb", since hydrogen dissipates pretty quickly.
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Uniclor 2400 external brine membrane chlorine generator.
    Kreepy Krauly inground cleaner, suction side.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hydrogen will collect under the cover but it probably would not ignite unless someone deliberately ignited it. I have collected some under my cover and I actually was able to ignite it but it requires the correct mix of oxygen. Pretty spectacular!
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel like there should be a "Don not try this at home" disclaimer
    ... seriously, Do Not Try This At Home!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Shut the chlorinator off, turn on the pump, it will flush out the cell, the gas should absorb back into solution, or come out the jets and dissipate. Then turn the SWCG back on.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida