How does a switchless 2 speed pump function?

jro33176

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 30, 2013
Miami, FL
I've searched on this site and elsewhere but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.

I would like to better understand how my two speed pool pump operates.

It is a Jandy/Zodiac PlusHP series pump.
This is a copy of the box the pump arrived in.
20140712_082358.jpg~320x480

The pump is a switchless motor. What does that mean exactly? That it alternates between the two speeds automatically?

The clock timer is currently set to go "on" at 8:00am and turn "off" at 4:00pm. There is also an on/off switch for "manual mode." What is the proper function of the clock timer? To turn the pump completely off or just switch to the low speed?

I notice in the evenings that even though the water appears still, water is still flowing out of return lines. Is this correct? Also, for the evenings, to operate the spa or water features, I am switching to manual mode (using the switch under the timer) in order to operate the jets or water features properly.

I am not sure I understand what you got. I thought all 2 speed pumps needed a switch to change speeds. Can you post pictures of the actual motor, switches, name plate and wiring diagram?

Here are some photos. Let me know if you need to see more or something different.

When I went out to take them (less than an hour ago!), the filter appears to be off (gauge is reading 0), but the pump is clearly running and water is flowing out of the returns. I see no switches to change the speed. My gut tells me something might be wrong here...

Motor
20140804_000002.jpg~320x480
20140804_000109.jpg~320x480

Switches
20140803_235804.jpg~320x480

20140804_000255.jpg~320x480
20140804_000313.jpg~320x480
20140804_000308.jpg~320x480

Overview of equipment pad
20140804_000208.jpg~320x480

I think gtemkin was right about the meaning of the switchless.

That timer I assume is weird to switch the speeds. Do you not have another timer to turn the pump on and off? That would be lame.

You may be able to switch the timer to power the pump on and off and use the manual switch to select speed. That would be preferred in my mind.

I believe you are correct, Jason. I turned off the "filter pump" switch and the pump shuts off.
The pool was completed 3 weeks ago. I will contact the PB to see if they can correct this. It makes no sense the way it is currently designed. Thanks!

Usually a T-104 timer is used to turn on and off a 230V pump ... the T-106 that you have might be configurable to turn the pump on and off (I just can not remember). Or tell them to pull the timer and put in a 104.

Definitely better to have the timer for the on/off and the switch to select speeds (unless you need the higher speeds for some part of each day to run a cleaner).

Well, PB told me that code requires the timer clock and pool pump to be installed this way. As you noted, the timer clock switches between the two speeds. I must manually turn off the pump using the switch. I'm going to double check that code because to me it defeats the purpose of the timer clock in the first place!

Well since you can't start the pump in low speed you would need another timer to automate the high/low switching (T10604R). So if it is designed to run 24hrs cycle most of the time at low speed and part time at high speed this is the only way to do it with 1 timer.

At that point you may want to consider something more advanced like a multiwave system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well since you can't start the pump in low speed you would need another timer to automate the high/low switching. So if it is designed to run 24hrs cycle most of the time at low speed and part time at high speed this is the only way to do it with 1 timer.

At that point you may want to consider something more advanced like a multiwave system.
What? Why do you think that? There is no problem starting the pump on low speed, I start mine on low speed all the time.

It is not required, although you are right that most automation systems do start on high for a few minutes for "priming". But if you do not have a leak, you should not be losing prime anyway.

There are countless members who have the pump set on a timer and leave the speed on low except for when they need high (backwash, vacuuming, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.