Adding solar to an easy touch system

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
I know this is an old thread

Split off of this topic. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

but I am looking to do something similar. so, to add solar to an easy touch system, I would need the above listed parts (about $300 or so?) plus some type of solar panels and hardware kit. does this sound accurate? I am currently trying to figure out pricing for a diy install.
thanks.
well since this post has been removed from the thread it pertained to it no longer makes sense. whatever

Last edited:
The link to the original thread is still there but what you described sounds correct. You can always call Pentair technical support to review what you have, but the thread goes into reasonable detail. I have Pentair IntelliTouch which is somewhat similar (has more capabilities, but basic hookups are similar). Take a look at p.58 in the EasyTouch manual and you will see that there are temp sensor inputs for solar (to be put up at the panels to know its hot enough to turn on) and for water (to know current water temperature) so when this difference gets large enough the solar is turned on by switching a valve to have water flow through the solar system. There is also an input for air temperature but that is for freeze protection, not for solar. For output there is a valve actuator for solar which goes to a valve that lets the output switch between bypassing solar vs. getting routed to solar. On the return side from solar is a one-way valve that allows only one-direction of flow through the solar system (i.e. it prevents the return from solar from being a way for water to flow into solar, though technically it will be blocked by actuated valve at the other end).

Thanks chem geek. That makes sense. I'm in SoCal so don't think I really need freeze protection. So again just valve, actuator and temp sensor would do it.
Any ballparks as to DIY cost for approx 400 sq ft of panels plus hardware?

Most of the major brand panels are sold by installers who have exclusive distribution contracts.

You can find some on Craig's list and eBay.

I would figure out what brand of panels you want and start searching online.

I'd also call a couple dealers and see if they will sell direct to you.

You also need to figure out where to place and how many. In that respect calling a couple installers and getting some bids really helps.

good idea gwegan. I see you have heliocol panels how many do you run to keep your pool warm?
I found a guy who sells hc50 panels for $300 bucks each or a little more for all the mounting hardware and/ or valves and controller.
shipping is $345 though.
so, for a total of $2994.00 I can get 350 sq.ft of heliocol panels plus all mounting hardware and valves. everything except controller which would be another $250 I think for a gl-235 from Hayward. I have the Pentair easy touch so wont need it.
thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.