Help! Crazy pool install!

Aug 3, 2014
Rayville
Hi all! I need help! We had a 27' 52" Aqua leader installed about 2.5 weeks ago and we have been going crazy trying to figure out what/how to back fill this massive cavern that has been dug to install the pool! We knew some dirt needed moved but by the time we go home and the installer was gone, and there was a trench around most of the pool that is as high as almost 3 feet and only a foot or so from the pool itself! no room for a wall and we are only supposed to back fill up to 18" at most! We called the installer to ask why it was buried so deep and he never returned our calls and the company we bought it from just says IDK ask the installer!!!! We do not know what to do and we are afraid of damaging the pool!

Some key info about the pools location; located in midwestern MO. down side of house where there is runoff from gutters:( soil is 1ft black dirt with lots of clay, not much rock though.

any help would be awesome!!!

TYIA!!!!

Depending on how far from the house you all agreed it would be, they prolly went that deep to be able to level to solid ground at the lowest point. I think you should talk to a landscaper or excavator to determine how much of the embankment between the foundation of the house and the high side of the pool can be taken off and used on the low side and to alleviate the risk of runoff ending up in your pool.

Yeah, they went that deep to provide a level base, but they should have given you more space to have put a retaining wall around the backside of the pool. Not much choice but to dig the backside larger and put a retaining wall up.
Digging that deep, they had no choice, but making it large enough for the wall, they should have for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, it is hard to believe that the pool installers would leave that small an amount of clearance. It wouldn't of taken much effort ,with heavy equipment, to give you more clearance. Was there a lack of communication?

I'm not really sure what went wrong. All I know is now the guy won't call back. He seemed very easy to get along with at 430 am when he got here but when we got home at 5 that night this is what was left. We bought this pool thinking we would not have all the labor left at the end. Boy how wrong we were. I'm going to call some local landscapers and see if they can do anything with this because we are at a loss. I will never recommend this company to anyone. The guy had a bobcat and made very short work of the dirt work but I would have thought there would have been a phone call saying "hey, this was a really deep dig" but no. I understand he had to get to level. This is just very frustrating. We could have had an inground put in for what we paid for the above ground and all the extra work that has yet to be done

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, he did leave a hand drawn picture of where to put the fill dirt though.

Wow... They certainly left you in a predicament. If I recall correctly the slope on grade is to be no more than 3:1. I think your best option is to excavate 3-4' wider than the pool and do a retaining wall. Then build a deck on that side of the pool. That would get your pump and filter out of the way as well. Hope all goes well.

WE had similar situation, but not quite as much of a drop, probably 1- 1.5ft. We also had to dig back and install retaining wall. We did it by hand. Took a bit of work, but we had the dirt dug out and wall installed in 6 hours with 4 people (and 3 trips to Home Depot)
Before wall:

After wall:

Hoping to build a deck over wall in the future...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.