Pool Chemical Question

Jul 14, 2014
Dallas/Texas
Just completed first week of maintaining the TFP way. Have a couple of questions:

Here are todays chemical results:
FC=0.4PPM
CC=0.2PPM
Ph=7.8
TA=80
CH=250
CYA=50

From what I understand, with the exception of the FC these numbers are within range. It seems like we have put in quite a bit of chlorine this week. We are using the 8.25% chlorine in 121 oz jugs (have looked for higher % to no avail thus far). Between last week and today--we have used five of these jugs (605 ounces) give or take--not including what we will be adding today. Is this a reasonable amount or is there something we need to do to minimize the depletion of FC?

On the chart for Chlorine/CYA-- I have been using the target versus the minimum--Is this the right way to do it?

Once we add chemicals--like chlorine how soon can we swim?

Lastly (for today), on the Taylor K2006 complete FAS-DPD, I have been using the 25ml level for FC/CC. When would I use the 44ml for FC--if ever?

All help is greatly appreciated--

TJ

You might have something in the water consuming the chlorine quickly. Do an OCLT to check. You need to raise your FC level asap though. Check the CYA/FC chart to set your target level.

You will never use the 44ml for chlorine testing. It is however used for other tests that can be done with the kit.

You only need to use the 10 ml sample and then multiply the number of drops by 0.5. It's plenty accurate enough and you save on reagents. Also make sure your running your pump for 40-60 min's before you take any test's to make sure water is mixed well.
With your CYA level of 50, you should be targeting an FC level of 8 and don't let it drop below 4. You need to get your FC levels up ASAP, or you going to have an algae outbreak.
Are you doseing with bleach daily ? You need to add bleach every day. Water temp also effects chlorine consumption when the temps get into the upper 80's-90's. How much FC do you lose in a day ? 2-3 ppm is normal.
You can swim 20-30 mins after chlorine addition. Make sure pump is running and your pouring it front of the return. ?

Ok-- did the OCLT and the FC dropped by 1.5 ppm overnight. Was 9 last night and dropped to 7.5 this AM. The CC is 0.5 this AM; with that said--looks like I need to slam- right? even with it being just .5 more than should have been lost--is that correct? I have been bleaching daily--one day was missed on Saturday-- The PH is 8--

Thanks for the help

What does the water look like? Crystal clear? Cloudy? Regardless, I think you need to SLAM. Make sure you adjust the pH to 7.2-7.4 before you start. pH testing is inaccurate at FC levels 10 or above. Remove any ladders and lights and scrub them with a dilute bleach solution while SLAMing. Root out where algae may be hiding. Every nook and cranny you can think of.

You should only be losing 2-3 FC per day. That would be 50-75 ounces (preferably the 50!) of 8.25% per day for normal usage without bather load. If you complete the SLAM process you will drop your daily usage over the next months rather than burning through more every day with something (albeit small) growing in your pool. It should go quickly if you are diligent about keeping FC up and brushing/cleaning trouble spots. Read through the SLAM procedure carefully and follow it to the letter.

So--as all have recommended I started the slamming this AM. The water is clear--I did adjust the Ph first and began slamming. Since the CC is with in range and the water is visibly clear--what should my goal or target be? How will I know we are done slamming? I will definitely check "every nook and cranny" too.

Thanks everyone!

Reading the SLAM procedure in Pool School tells you all you need to know for completing the process.
1. Water is crystal clear
2. CC is 0.5 or less
3. OCLT of 1 or less
When you meet those criteria, you're done with SLAM and you maintain FC based on CYA level, aka maintenance mode.

Try some vitamin C tablets placed directly on them or several in a sock directly on them. If they fade/disappear with this treatment, they are iron based stains. Otherwise they may be organic based and a Trichlor tablet placed directly on them may fade/clear them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.