DE getting past filter and constant high pressure

Just like it says....

I essentially have the same setup - pump,filter etc with no changes for several years now without any problems. My pool is commercial, 33k gallons.

I typically only have to backwash every 4/5 weeks depending on pool use. Normal running pressure on the Pentair 60sq ft DE filter gauge is 17 PSI.

Lately, I can't go 5 days without the pressure building up past 30 PSI. Both of my return lines are blowing bubbles into the pool when the pressure rises also. I first swapped in a new quality PSI gauge without luck so the gauge is reading correct.

Another issue that's occurring is I'm also getting DE past the filter and into the pool. I carefully inspected each grid- no holes, tears or broken plastic pieces found.

After a thorough cleaning, I returned the pool to service and made it about 5 days before having to backwash yet again.

I then through my hands up and purchased ALL new grids and replaced the top manifold. Again, the pressure rose to above 30psi within a few days after a complete filter rebuild and I'm still getting DE in the pool.

I'm at a loss and have NO clue as to what to check next. I've been maintaining this same pool for over 9 years and this has me stumped.

Any ideas?

Since it's so consistent, even with new grids, I'd say the filter is just doing what it's supposed to do -- filter stuff out.

That means it's filtering out a LOT of stuff. And that makes me wonder if there isn't a nascent algae bloom. How about posting some test results along with where they came from and what the water looks like.

Afternoon test results:

CYA- less than 30ppm. Last checked roughly 3 weeks ago.. 45ppm. Our pool is old (40+ years w/ old copper piping) and it leaks a little. Keeping CYA up is a challenge since we are constantly adding water.

TA- 100.

PH- 7.6

FC- 4+

I added (1) gallon of chlorine and (2) bags of shock @ 6am this morning. Water is still green-ish but clearing nicely. I'm thinking I might add more tonight during the non-swim hours.

I also forgot that I use a chlorine generator from the following company: http://www.thechlorinefactory.com/

Well, now we have our answer: you're clearing a swamp. DE filters will load up in hours if the water is really bad. If you want to kill off that algae and be done with this, you need to take it up to Shock Level And Maintain it there. That's 12 FC for a couple days.

Until recently, my water has been almost crystal clear for weeks. Is my problem the ever clever Nascent Algae Bloom?

Would be beneficial to answering your questions if you added your pools info to your signature as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

As stated it's likely you have the beginnings of a green monster lurking in there and that's where the "stuff" is coming from that's catching in your filter. The recommendation is to backwash at 20-25% over clean pressure. If you're running 17 with a clean filter you should be backwashing at 20/23psi
I don't know if excessive pressure might be a cause of pushing DE past the filter and back into the pool ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.