Close from where I was

TA 70
    FC 12
    PH 7.3 when FC was 8, now shows 7.5 with over 10 FC
    CH 530
    CYA 70

A year ago CYA was 150-160
    CH was over 600
    Have done partial drains over the last year, mostly by draining in anticipation of a storm. Live in the desert in Tucson so water is an issue.

I think this is about as far as I will go with lowering my CYA. Over 330 days of sunshine per year, need the sun umbrellas for the CL. I may lower a little if we get more rain to help the CH and to lower CYA so I can use a puck if I take and extended vacation. I will keep my CSI under control by keeping PH in 7.2 range.

Have never, knock on wood, had algae, even in pre TFP method so CYA at 70 should work for me as long as I keep FC at target levels. Gonna add a little MA and then enjoy the pool later today.
    Water looks great, thanks for all the help with my dumb questions along the way. I still have an issue with small floaty particles, dealing with that in another thread, but I am coming to the conclusion it is seasonal blow in of pollen and small leaves from desert trees and bushes.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Close from where I was

Way to go.

You understand pool chemistry!

I've been doing a more-or-less weekly partial drain and refill to lower the CH buildup in my pool. As a side benefit, I've lowered the CYA to where I can use pucks about half the time. If you're lucky, you'll get there, too. It's wonderful, being able to go days without having to add a drop of anything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!