Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA question

We just got our CYA in the mail and are about to add it. I have read that people say to put it in a sock in the strainer or in front of a return (but not to allow it to touch the wall). I was going to put it in our strainer, but wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly. The only strainer we have is srainer that goes from the hose that exits the pool to the sand filter (so hose, strainer, sand filter, it came with the filter) and then the sand filter, then the swg and then the return to the pool. I know some people have strainers in the pool or have added them to the walls. Just want to make sure I am putting it in the correct spot. Thanks for your help.
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' X 42" AG, 4000 GAL, Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump and Intex 54605EG Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA question

If you know what a skimmer is, do you have one?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The flow from the return jet(s) should be sufficient to keep the sock off the pools walls.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

skimmer vs strainer...that is where I was getting confused. We have a skimmer from our first intex pool that would could let it sit in, but not one that attaches to this pool since the "strainer" that screws into the wall doesn't have a hole for a hose (a defect in my opinion and really limits the ease of use!). Can either of you answer a question about the sand filter? My husband didn't realize I was posting here and went to put it in the inline strainer (right before the sand filter). I stopped him and he closed it back up, however, the sand filter that was running around 10 psi, is now running around 2 to 4 psi and we can't get the strainer to fill back up completely with water...is around 2/3 full, instead.
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' X 42" AG, 4000 GAL, Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump and Intex 54605EG Krystal Clear Saltwater System

5. Back To Top    #5

A picture's worth a thousand words. Others have reported good luck sticking a pole in a ladder or something so it dangles. There's also a picture somewhere on here where someone tied the socks to a pool noodle and just let it bob around. In front of the return will probably get it to dissolve faster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

And if you spend a little time wringing it like a wet wash cloth you'll get it dissolved faster.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!