Intex Easy Set Filter Pump

LinieM

Aug 2, 2008
Texas
Hi All,

I've read most of the forum and can't seem to the find the exact answers to my questions. Hope someone can help please.

I purchased an Intex Easy Set (15 ft X 42 inches deep) and had no idea not to fill the pool with well water. When we filled it the water was crystal clear and blue. Then I started adding the chemicals per instructions and the water suddenly turned a bright green. Later that day a brownish green. I went to the pool supply store and had the water tested. They sold me a bottle of metal remover and said it would clear up. Well, after 1 1/2 bottles it is now a light green tent but clear. Having the pool company test the water, my numbers are fine with the chemicals. Now the Pool Supply company tells me my Intex filter pump (#637 - 800 GPH) is too small and my pool won't clear until I get a larger filter pump. She doesn't sell Intex and I would have to change things out for her equipment. It is just me and I don't want to go that route. Can anyone tell me if getting a larger Intex filter pump would work to clear the water? What size would you suggest for a 15 ft X 42 inches deep?

Question #2
Because I live in an area where the storm knock out my electricity making the well useless, I got a Floatron Solar Powered Ionizer for the pool. That way I wouldn't have to use so much chlorine and I could use the water when needed during storms. The lady at the Pool Supply Company says she doesn't recommend those for Intex pools. When I read about it before purchase it was recommended for above ground pools and the reviews I read were favorable. Does anyone use a Floatron? What are your results using it? Or did I just rhrough money down the drain?

Thanks for all your help.
Linie

LinieM said:
Hi All,

I've read most of the forum and can't seem to the find the exact answers to my questions. Hope someone can help please.

I purchased an Intex Easy Set (15 ft X 42 inches deep) and had no idea not to fill the pool with well water. When we filled it the water was crystal clear and blue. Then I started adding the chemicals per instructions and the water suddenly turned a bright green. Later that day a brownish green. I went to the pool supply store and had the water tested. They sold me a bottle of metal remover and said it would clear up. Well, after 1 1/2 bottles it is now a light green tent but clear. Having the pool company test the water, my numbers are fine with the chemicals. Now the Pool Supply company tells me my Intex filter pump (#637 - 800 GPH) is too small and my pool won't clear until I get a larger filter pump. She doesn't sell Intex and I would have to change things out for her equipment. It is just me and I don't want to go that route. Can anyone tell me if getting a larger Intex filter pump would work to clear the water? What size would you suggest for a 15 ft X 42 inches deep?

Question #2
Because I live in an area where the storm knock out my electricity making the well useless, I got a Floatron Solar Powered Ionizer for the pool. That way I wouldn't have to use so much chlorine and I could use the water when needed during storms. The lady at the Pool Supply Company says she doesn't recommend those for Intex pools. When I read about it before purchase it was recommended for above ground pools and the reviews I read were favorable. Does anyone use a Floatron? What are your results using it? Or did I just rhrough money down the drain?

Thanks for all your help.
Linie

First, here's an article that will give you some info on Ionizers....probably a waste of money.

You can try the larger Intex pumps, you can order them online, the 2,000 or the 2,500 use the larger "B" type Intex filters which would probably help more than just the size of the pump. But anything at this point will be better than the 800.

If you have metals in your water you will need sequesterant, and often it takes maintenance doses for it to be effective. Bi monthly, weekly, monthly, kind of just depends, every pool seems to be unique when it comes to their respective well water.

We can give you better advice if you post a full set of your test results. The pool store telling you it's fine is not very meaningful, no offense to you but I've learned the hard way 8 times out of 10 their advice will cost you more money and make the situation worse.

I would advise getting a good test kit so you can test your own water and have control of your pool. Best investment in your pool you could make. I recommend the TF100 test kit, the link is on the home page.

Welcome to the forum!

I would get the biggest one you can. Even though your pool only holds 3300 gal. so in theory the 2500 GPH pump will turn over the water every hour and 20 min. you need that with and Intex filter. It's generally not the pumps that are undersized, it's the carts they use. If your somewhat handy with plumbing, you could Tee off after the pump and run the 2500 GPH and the 800 GPH carts in series. It would look something like the pic below, but with only 2 carts and the Intex pump instead of that one.

Adamscart.jpg

HTH,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.