AquaCal Heat Pump - Keep or abandon?

CAL7

Jul 10, 2014
Orlando, FL
Orlando area. I've inherited a 9000gal Gunite pool that has an AquaCal heat pump installed in 2001. I had been planning on solar (roof orientation is not ideal, but good enough), but now have to consider whether the heat pump is a better option, considering I don't have to pay to install it.

Given its age, what kind of remaining life span can I expect? Given its age, are operating costs going to be reasonable?

If it there installed you can see if it runs. You can add the solar before the heater and use both for year long heat. I have a heat pump and use it to extend the season about a month on each end of the swim season.
Operating cost depend on the size of the unit and the temp increase in the pool you're looking to achieve. If you heat your pool and not using a pool cover it's like heating a house without a roof.

Given its age, what kind of remaining life span can I expect? Given its age, are operating costs going to be reasonable?

Since you're in Central Florida you may want to consider having an AquaCal tech come out and inspect the unit to see what shape it is in. AquaCal is based in St. Petersburg and they employ their own in-house technical staff throughout most of Florida. They also offer preventative maintenance programs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.