Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaCal Heat Pump - Keep or abandon?

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaCal Heat Pump - Keep or abandon?

Orlando area. I've inherited a 9000gal Gunite pool that has an AquaCal heat pump installed in 2001. I had been planning on solar (roof orientation is not ideal, but good enough), but now have to consider whether the heat pump is a better option, considering I don't have to pay to install it.

Given its age, what kind of remaining life span can I expect? Given its age, are operating costs going to be reasonable?
    10,000 gal in-ground; 1hp single speed pump; Puck chlorination; Pebbletek; Hayward C1200 filter. Coming: solar, Intermatic PE953RC and Z-wave.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaCal Heat Pump - Keep or abandon?

If it there installed you can see if it runs. You can add the solar before the heater and use both for year long heat. I have a heat pump and use it to extend the season about a month on each end of the swim season.
    Operating cost depend on the size of the unit and the temp increase in the pool you're looking to achieve. If you heat your pool and not using a pool cover it's like heating a house without a roof.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I hadn't considered I could do both.
    10,000 gal in-ground; 1hp single speed pump; Puck chlorination; Pebbletek; Hayward C1200 filter. Coming: solar, Intermatic PE953RC and Z-wave.

4. Back To Top    #4

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Given its age, what kind of remaining life span can I expect? Given its age, are operating costs going to be reasonable?
    Since you're in Central Florida you may want to consider having an AquaCal tech come out and inspect the unit to see what shape it is in. AquaCal is based in St. Petersburg and they employ their own in-house technical staff throughout most of Florida. They also offer preventative maintenance programs.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps