Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: steps to take when leaving pool for a week

1. Back To Top    #1

steps to take when leaving pool for a week

Just wondering what you all do and if there are any special steps necessary to take when leaving your pool for around a week? Lets assume there is a solar cover and timer on the pool.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: steps to take when leaving pool for a week

I bring it up to shock level and it is fine. However, someone with more experience should come along soon and provide more guidance.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

steps to take when leaving pool for a week

What is your CYA level ? Bring FC up to shock level and put some pucks in a floater if you have room for CYA. Leave cover on it.
    Other option is have somebody look after it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cya was about 25 the other day when I checked it. I can put some pucks in the chlorinator.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

5. Back To Top    #5

How long does it take your pucks to dissolve completely, and how many can you put in? When I was using bleach, I poured a jug of bleach in just before I left and put as many pucks as I could fit in a floater. When I came back 10 days later, my FC was still 5ppm and I had a bit of the tabs left as well. Probably could have lasted another few days.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You're in great shape if CYA is only 25.

I raise the water level a couple inches to allow for a lot of evaporation, so I don't run the risk of running the pump dry and frying it, and then I pack as many pucks into the floater as I can. If you break them, they'll dissolve faster and you can also sometimes fit more in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    What is your CYA level ? Bring FC up to shock level and put some pucks in a floater if you have room for CYA. Leave cover on it.
    Other option is have somebody look after it. ��
    EXACTLY what I'm doing this week. Will also have a friend make two 1 gallon bleach additions on Tues. and Thurs.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!